Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Hmm I've heard of hens crowing, sure looks like a hen, can you send a pic of her side so we can see her saddle and hackle feathers?

Aw such a shame to see this thread going dead. Let's try to start it back up!!

This late summer I got 6 new bantam cochins. 2 Mottled, 2 Blues, and 2 Self Blue. Havent had much luck, the self blues both turned out to be roos, 1 mottled died and the only blue I had died. Now all I have is 1 mottled hen, 2 self blue roos, and 1 black hen, because they sent me a black instead of a blue :/

Aw such a shame to see this thread going dead. Let's try to start it back up!!

This late summer I got 6 new bantam cochins. 2 Mottled, 2 Blues, and 2 Self Blue. Havent had much luck, the self blues both turned out to be roos, 1 mottled died and the only blue I had died. Now all I have is 1 mottled hen, 2 self blue roos, and 1 black hen, because they sent me a black instead of a blue :/
That is so frustrating! All 5 of my bantam Cochins this year were boys - I'm keeping 2 in hopes of getting them some ladies soon.

It happens.

I bought some expensive quality eggs from a breeder. They got scrambled in shipping. 2nd time I bought more from same breeder and got 7 cut ties to hatch. 5 ended up being roos. It sucked BUT I am OK with it cause I can still use them and work with them. So I'm keeping 3.

Same sort of luck here. mostly roosters. But each hatch i get at least a couple nice pullets and so I'm pleased and still hatching.
I would hate to see this thread die also, I really enjoy it but confess I'm one of those who just don't reply enough.
chicks or eggs? Don't know, you have to raise a lot of either one to get the ones you want to keep.

Same sort of luck here. mostly roosters. But each hatch i get at least a couple nice pullets and so I'm pleased and still hatching.
I would hate to see this thread die also, I really enjoy it but confess I'm one of those who just don't reply enough.
chicks or eggs? Don't know, you have to raise a lot of either one to get the ones you want to keep.

I've decided that I want six-month olds. I don't think I can cull a Cochin. They really are too sweet. I can cull my Ameraucana cockerels (with some angst) but I just can't see me culling a sweet cockerel. I may just stick to paying a good deal of money for a show bird and not have to do any culling.

I would think in the long run chicks are a lot cheaper than hatching eggs.

Do yall think it is cheaper to buy hatching eggs or chicks?
I think it would depend on the hatch rate. My last hatch I figured that I ended up paying something like $5.25 each (not counting electricity for the bator) vs. $6-$8 for chicks. But they were all boys so I'm not sure how that works out. Then again - day-old chicks are straight run also and you don't get the fun of hatching.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom