Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

I think it would depend on the hatch rate. My last hatch I figured that I ended up paying something like $5.25 each (not counting electricity for the bator) vs. $6-$8 for chicks. But they were all boys so I'm not sure how that works out. Then again - day-old chicks are straight run also and you don't get the fun of hatching.
wink.png
I think the big hatcheries don't sex bantams, do they? Also then you are talking about a quality control issue in some cases. But I like to work toward breed standard. I agree that the fun of the hatch, and watching how awesome the mama birds are with their babies is very worth it. I don't like incubator hatching nearly as much, though have resorted to it when needed. My friend and I hatched out chicks in her incubator last spring. She had a broody just kicking out teen chicks, who then took over the new babies as well! I hand-raised my set. At six weeks hers were fully 30% larger than mine, although mine were much tamer. Mama hen really knows what she is doing!

I think the big hatcheries don't sex bantams, do they?  Also then you are talking about a quality control issue in some cases.  But I like to work toward breed standard.  I agree that the fun of the hatch, and watching how awesome the mama birds are with their babies is very worth it.  I don't like incubator hatching nearly as much, though have resorted to it when needed.  My friend and I hatched out chicks in her incubator last spring.  She had a broody just kicking out teen chicks, who then took over the new babies as well!  I hand-raised my set.  At six weeks hers were fully 30% larger than mine, although mine were much tamer.  Mama hen really knows what she is doing!

Some hatcheries do, and some don't

I like to get eggs to hatch because I enjoy the process and I have a very broody Bantam Cochin that I enjoy watching hatch and raise babies
love.gif
Unfortunately the last set I gave her, only 2 hatched
sad.png
One was a gorgeous little Millie fleur Bantam cochin that of course ended up being a roo
hit.gif
Not zoned for roo's where I live but my friend got a very handsome bird! I do think in the long run it is cheaper to buy chicks/birds rather then eggs because you don't have the gamble of hatching or not hatching and some control over sex if the birds are old enough. Ours are pets and we just enjoy the process of hatching and having chickens
smile.png
Tiny Bantam eggs are a bonus
wink.png

I personally choose eggs.

I can't buy chicks as no one close by sells them. I'm one of the few only breeders in Michigan that has them. And already have lines from the others close by. So since I'm not interested in hatchery stock... I buy breeder stock eggs and have them shipped in. I have hens to do all the work on hatching and raising. Of at least the hatching. ;)

These last posts made me want to share what I have found to be the best method of shipping eggs I have tried. I use set rate postal boxes medium or large depending on how many eggs I have to ship. I seal the bottom and all seams to insure no leakage. I use mini flake pine bedding as my medium to protect the eggs and keep them where I place them. I do wrap each egg in bubble wrap bubbles in. I place bedding, eggs, more bedding, more eggs, more bedding until full. I then cut a cardboard pad the size of the box to help keep it stiff and square. Seal all up. Mark LIVE EMBRYOS on the box and ship it. I have had no breakage in transit and hatch rate rivals that I get at home.

Oh Craig!
I had no clue you sold eggs!
I've always wanted some blacks and Columbians from your stock!
I admire your birds type so much and love seeing pics of them.
If and when you sell eggs again. I eat any and all advice you share as i am trying to better my flock as i go. Let me know as I'm totally interested.

Orps does she have access to a rooster? I am positive she is a hen. Sometimes if a hen has no access to a rooster they wil themselves start acting like one all the way down to trying to crow and succeeding with that crow!)

Last edited:
Oh Craig!
I had no clue you sold eggs!
I've always wanted some blacks and Columbians from your stock!
I admire your birds type so much and love seeing pics of them.
If and when you sell eggs again. I eat any and all advice you share as i am trying to better my flock as i go. Let me know as I'm totally interested.

I don't or never had until this year. My Columbian hens laid so well I sold some eggs to get more Columbians out after I had already hatched 150 for myself. I have never sold a Black egg and probably won't as long as I AI Blacks. My method above really works well.

Back
Top Bottom