Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Hey guys. I'm pretty sure out of the chicks I got this year that I got 2 Self Blue chicks, 1 Black hen, and 1 Mottled hen. What would come out of those breedings?

hiya. You will probably get a mixture of black, blue and black and blue mottled. But it would depend on the parent birds do you know what colours they were?

I know u cant breed a frizzle to a frizzle but can u breed a frizzle to a smooth that carries the frizzle gene?

Why do you say a "smooth that carries the frizzle gene"? Normally the frizzle is expressed because it is a dominant gene so you can see it expressed in the bird. There are modifying genes that inhibit the frizzle expression but I think it would be very rare to have a completely smooth bird that carried the frizzle gene. I suspect that if you have a bird that appears as a smooth, it doesn't carry any frizzle gene.

I know u cant breed a frizzle to a frizzle but can u breed a frizzle to a smooth that carries the frizzle gene?
You can breed any smooth to any frizzle and can expect 50% smooth and 50% Frizzled. Last year I did use a smooth male from a frizzle breeding to breed back to his mother. Type and feather quality were my reasons for using him. I am pleased with the offspring. Generally I use the widest feathered good typed male I can find and don't worry as to whether they are out of a Frizzle.

Frizzles can be bred to each other but generally not a very good idea.

Last edited:
Technically this is all wrong. You can breed a frizzle to a frizzle and get 100% frizzle offspring. The problem if you chose to do that is 25% will be (Frazzles,pipecleaners,whatever your pet name is). Also stand a chance of getting some outstanding looking frizzles out of that breeding. I chose not to do that breeding so that I do not have to deal with the 25%.

You can breed any smooth to any frizzle and can expect about 50% frizzles and 50 % smooth. Last year I did use a smooth male from a frizzle breeding to breed back to his mother. Type and feather quality were my reasons for using him. I am pleased with the offspring. Generally I use the widest feathered good typed male I can find and don't worry as to whether they are out of a Frizzl.

Statistically, you should get 75% frizzles, of which 25% are double-copy frizzles (frazzles). The remaining 25% should be smooth.

Genetically, it is Ff x Ff, which produces FF (frazzle), Ff, Ff (normal frizzle) and ff (smooth. I don't know how to make up a Punet's square on this web site.

I have two frazzles and they are problematic birds. They can't deal with the cold even if in perfect (for a frazzle) feather as they have no down, and any they might have had breaks off. They have no protection from rain, either.

The frazzle hen I kept in my kitchen all last winter finally has molted and has decent feathering for a frazzle. I hope she can stay outside this winterin a covered pen with two smooth hens to keep her warm. They all pile into a nest box at night--I just hope her feathers cope with contact with the other hens.

Hey guys. I'm pretty sure out of the chicks I got this year that I got 2 Self Blue chicks, 1 Black hen, and 1 Mottled hen. What would come out of those breedings?

hiya. You will probably get a mixture of black, blue and black and blue mottled. But it would depend on the parent birds do you know what colours they were?
If they are truly Self Blue and not Splash you will probably get all Black chicks some split to Self Blue. If your Self Blue are actually Splash you can expect to get Blues and perhaps Blue Mottled.

Statistically, you should get 75% frizzles, of which 25% are double-copy frizzles (frazzles). The remaining 25% should be smooth.

Genetically, it is Ff x Ff, which produces FF (frazzle), Ff, Ff (normal frizzle) and ff (smooth. I don't know how to make up a Punet's square on this web site.

I have two frazzles and they are problematic birds. They can't deal with the cold even if in perfect (for a frazzle) feather as they have no down, and any they might have had breaks off. They have no protection from rain, either.

The frazzle hen I kept in my kitchen all last winter finally has molted and has decent feathering for a frazzle. I hope she can stay outside this winterin a covered pen with two smooth hens to keep her warm. They all pile into a nest box at night--I just hope her feathers cope with contact with the other hens.
You caught that before I corrected myself. You are correct

No, I don't know what there parents were, theyre hatchery stock, I'm just gonna breed for fun.

If they are truly Self Blue and not Splash you will probably get all Black chicks some split to Self Blue. If your Self Blue are actually Splash you can expect to get Blues and perhaps Blue Mottled.
I'll try to post some pics of everybody sometime today!

Back
Top Bottom