Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

So pretty much 3/4 of those chicks aren't good?, oh well I don't give a pickle I still like them, I'm just breeding for fun anyways, there aren't any chicken shows around here anyways ;)

Are you talking about the discussion of breeding frizzle to another frizzle? If so, a quarter of the chicks will be the very problematic frazzle which carry two copies of the frizzle gene. There are no real problems with the half that are frizzle--that is those birds carrying only one copy of the frizzle gene. Because a (normal) frizzle's feathers bend outwards, they are more open so water will be able to penetrate to the down. I would expect that a proper frizzle would have a bit more trouble in cold and wet weather.

Now, a frazzle (two copies of the frizzle gene) is a whole other ball game. They are NOT fun to own or deal with. It has nothing to do with show quality, but the quality of life these birds have. They are quite fragile and usually live very short lives. I wouldn't wish a frazzle on any backyard chicken keeper. I kept one in my kitchen all winter because I had left her in the back yard with a rooster for a few weeks thinking a saddle would be enough protection. Boy, was I wrong. The feathers are so fragile, the saddle rubbed them off. That hen is finally coming into full (frazzle) feather now and I am hoping that she can stay out in a pen with another smooth hen. They both cuddle up together inside a nest box at night rather than perching. I'm in South Central Texas, so the days are rarely below freezing and the pen is half covered. I'll probably cover the other half just for that frazzle, to make sure most rain can't get in.

The other frazzle, a rooster, came in the house or the garage many times last winter because he was just too cold or wet. If there was any rain, even a light mist, he couldn't cope when temps were in the low 50s. I would find him huddled and shivering. At times I had to put him under a heat lamp. The hen was just too naked to even put in the garage under a heat lamp.

I also suspect that a frazzle suffers from pain when handled. No matter how careful I am handling them, they act as if handling them causes them pain. They seem quite skittish but I don't think it is their temperament--I think handling them causes them pain and I really don't know why. Maybe they don't have enough down and feathers to protect their pin feathers or maybe their skin is just more delicate.

Here's a picture of my Kitchen Chicken. I'm hoping that her feathers will hold up enough to be able to stay outside all winter, but I am not counting on it. Believe me, you have no idea how difficult it is to give a frazzle a happy, healthy life until you've actually dealt with them. They are really a challenge. I can't stress enough, they are just not fun birds to have.

1 - Self Blue roo #1
2 - Self blue roo #2
3 - Self blue roo #1's wing
4 - Self blue roo #2's wing
Neither of these a Cochin. Foot feathers are totally missing. Love their color.

Are you talking about the discussion of breeding frizzle to another frizzle? If so, a quarter of the chicks will be the very problematic frazzle which carry two copies of the frizzle gene. There are no real problems with the half that are frizzle--that is those birds carrying only one copy of the frizzle gene. Because a (normal) frizzle's feathers bend outwards, they are more open so water will be able to penetrate to the down. I would expect that a proper frizzle would have a bit more trouble in cold and wet weather.

Now, a frazzle (two copies of the frizzle gene) is a whole other ball game. They are NOT fun to own or deal with. It has nothing to do with show quality, but the quality of life these birds have. They are quite fragile and usually live very short lives. I wouldn't wish a frazzle on any backyard chicken keeper. I kept one in my kitchen all winter because I had left her in the back yard with a rooster for a few weeks thinking a saddle would be enough protection. Boy, was I wrong. The feathers are so fragile, the saddle rubbed them off. That hen is finally coming into full (frazzle) feather now and I am hoping that she can stay out in a pen with another smooth hen. They both cuddle up together inside a nest box at night rather than perching. I'm in South Central Texas, so the days are rarely below freezing and the pen is half covered. I'll probably cover the other half just for that frazzle, to make sure most rain can't get in.

The other frazzle, a rooster, came in the house or the garage many times last winter because he was just too cold or wet. If there was any rain, even a light mist, he couldn't cope when temps were in the low 50s. I would find him huddled and shivering. At times I had to put him under a heat lamp. The hen was just too naked to even put in the garage under a heat lamp.

I also suspect that a frazzle suffers from pain when handled. No matter how careful I am handling them, they act as if handling them causes them pain. They seem quite skittish but I don't think it is their temperament--I think handling them causes them pain and I really don't know why. Maybe they don't have enough down and feathers to protect their pin feathers or maybe their skin is just more delicate.

Here's a picture of my Kitchen Chicken. I'm hoping that her feathers will hold up enough to be able to stay outside all winter, but I am not counting on it. Believe me, you have no idea how difficult it is to give a frazzle a happy, healthy life until you've actually dealt with them. They are really a challenge. I can't stress enough, they are just not fun birds to have.

No, I was actually talking about the comments about my chicks that I posted

file://localhost/Users/thebrands/Desktop/image3.JPG
file://localhost/Users/thebrands/Desktop/image2.JPG
file://localhost/Users/thebrands/Desktop/image1.JPG
My Blue mille Fleur cochins.

This is curley. hes our roo. when he gets happy hes like a fat little kid, stomping his feet. its so funny looking. he recently hurt his foot, but w? plenty of rest t.l.c. hes back up, ready to stomp hes feet and dance.

This is curley. hes our roo. when he gets happy hes like a fat little kid, stomping his feet. its so funny looking. he recently hurt his foot, but w? plenty of rest t.l.c. hes back up, ready to stomp hes feet and dance.
Awww...so glad to her it! My girl does the same thing when she is happy! She will also take her foot and scratch it on mine when she wants a treat
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom