Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

My little one is getting so big..

Hi guys i have a little 1-2 week old chick with SLATE FEET!! the mum is a mille fleur and the dad is part partridge but a mix! Can someone explain this, ive never seen a cochin with feet that arent white!?

Hi guys i have a little 1-2 week old chick with SLATE FEET!! the mum is a mille fleur and the dad is part partridge but a mix! Can someone explain this, ive never seen a cochin with feet that arent white!?
Cochins are to have yellow feet. White is the only color Cochin feet are not supposed to be.

DISQUALIFICATIONS:
Bare middle and/or outer toe - Bottoms of feet showing complete absence of yellow in all varieties

I am from south east Texas and the most common color I have found in this area are blue, black, and white. I have several birds of these colors but I want to add more colors like the reds, partridges, and buffs; but I am having a hard time finding a private breeder who has these colors. I have had to cave and buy from a commercial breeder, which I hated to do, because I like to support small farm breeders.

I guess I meant white/yellow, I know it's not what they're supposed to be like for SQ birds but mine are mixes anyway! I'm just wondering how this cool phenotype came about!?
Cochins are to have yellow feet. White is the only color Cochin feet are not supposed to be.

[COLOR=000000]DISQUALIFICATIONS:

Bare middle and/or outer toe - Bottoms of feet showing complete absence of yellow in all varieties[/COLOR]

I guess I meant white/yellow, I know it's not what they're supposed to be like for SQ birds but mine are mixes anyway! I'm just wondering how this cool phenotype came about!?

The skin color is either white or yellow; it cannot be white/yellow.

Slate legs are produced when there is a melanizing pigment working with white skin. The bottoms of the feet will be pink. The bottoms of the feet of a white-skinned bird are very different from the feet of a bird with yellow skin. There are a couple of different melanizing genes that work on different layers of skin. A melanizing pigment with yellow skin gives various shades of green or willow legs.

Show quality or pet quality Cochins share the same standards, Mixes are just that--mixes. They are not a breed.

Last edited:
I am from south east Texas and the most common color I have found in this area are blue, black, and white. I have several birds of these colors but I want to add more colors like the reds, partridges, and buffs; but I am having a hard time finding a private breeder who has these colors. I have had to cave and buy from a commercial breeder, which I hated to do, because I like to support small farm breeders.
Messaged you.

Back
Top Bottom