Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Quick question for you bantam cochin experts...I'm trying to figure out how many eggs to order for my incubator.

I am getting the Brinsea Mini Advanced Incubator. The details say that the standard turning plate holds 7 eggs chicken size. They offer a small egg plate which holds up to 12 eggs. The description is as follows:

'The Mini Advance Small Egg Insert / Tray increases egg capacity from 7 to 12 SMALL eggs, such as quails, finches, lovebirds, etc. up to the size of pheasant eggs (won't work for larger eggs - for which one needs the 7-egg tray)'

How would bantam cochin egg size compare? Has anyone used this unit for their eggs? If so, which plate worked?

Thanks for your help!

Quick question for you bantam cochin experts...I'm trying to figure out how many eggs to order for my incubator.

I am getting the Brinsea Mini Advanced Incubator.  The details say that the standard turning plate holds 7 eggs chicken size. They offer a small egg plate which holds up to 12 eggs.  The description is as follows:

'The Mini Advance Small Egg Insert / Tray increases egg capacity from 7 to 12 SMALL eggs, such as quails, finches, lovebirds, etc. up to the size of pheasant eggs (won't work for larger eggs - for which one needs the 7-egg tray)'

How would bantam cochin egg size compare? Has anyone used this unit for their eggs?  If so, which plate worked?

Thanks for your help! 

I have that incubator and the 7 plate is for bantam and LF eggs the 12 plate I used for quail eggs. It worked great!!!

The skin color is either white or yellow; it cannot be white/yellow.

Slate legs are produced when there is a melanizing pigment  working with white skin.  The bottoms of the feet will be pink.  The bottoms of the feet of a white-skinned bird are very different from the feet of a bird with yellow skin.  There are a couple of different melanizing genes that work on different layers of skin.  A melanizing pigment with yellow skin gives various shades of green or willow legs.

Show quality or pet quality Cochins share the same standards,  Mixes are just that--mixes.  They are not a breed.

Ah okay! Yes I meant white or yellow by white/yellow. They are a mix between colours not breeds - the parents are all the same breed so surely they are still cochin bantams but not a specific or recognised colour?

Ah okay! Yes I meant white or yellow by white/yellow. They are a mix between colours not breeds - the parents are all the same breed so surely they are still cochin bantams but not a specific or recognised colour?

A Cochin doesn't have white skin. The genetics for white skin is not in the breed. Yellow skin is recessive, so there is no hidden white-skin genetics in the Cochin breed. If you have white-skinned "Cochins" they would have to be a mixed breed regardless of their color.

Shape and type, those qualities that in total make a Cochin a Cochin and not just a fluffy chicken are incredibly important. Without them, you just have a chicken, not representative of a breed.

Page 28 of the American Poultry Association's Standards of Perfection (2010) states:

"It is imperative that shape and type be considered of greatest importance, and specimens greatly deficient in breed type should be disqualified as lacking in breed character...."

Color is the variety within the breed. I would think that any color that does not conform to colors acceptable and recognized by the American Poultry Association or the American Bantam Association would render a chicken so lacking in type and breed character to be considered not of the breed.

I hope Black Cochin weighs in on this, but from what you've written, I would think you have mixed breeds, not Cochins.

Last edited:
well all my cochin or pekin bantams have much paler skin than my SLW which has very yellow skin/feet

hmm maybe as i live in england, i bought pekin bantams as they are known around here, so maybe the SOP is different for them over here? i got my pullets from a reliable breeder...

Back
Top Bottom