Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Hi all,

We are attempting to breed some sizzles for our own enjoyment - no to sell, not to show - just to enjoy as hobbyists.

Our daddy bird is a show silkie. The mom is a bantam frizzled cochin. They've had two clutches. The first one resulted in one hatch - a beautiful pullet - partridge with black skin, blue ear lobes and flat feathered, 5 toes.

The second clutch had 5 chicks - 4 cockerels and 1 pullet. We've rehomed 2 cockerels. They are three months old. We are keeping the pullet of course. Of the two cockerels, both are white and the pullet is black, one cockerel is sweeter than spice and flat feathered. The other one is frizzled feathered, gorgeous, but showing signs of dominance and aggression. Of course we wanted to keep the frizzle feathered but are now torn. Which of the two should we keep for our project. They are also going to be pets. We were planning on keeping the frizzle feathered, but now just don't know what to do.

Thank you for your help!

Forgot to ask...what type of chicks are you hatching?

Black Cochin bantams[/QUOTE]

YAY!!! Post pics when you get a chance
big_smile.png
I am living vicariously through other peoples hatches until I get a bit warmer weather...then its HATCHING TIME!!!
jumpy.gif
celebrate.gif

Hi I am new to chickens and know nothing about frizzles, bantam, or Cochin lol. But we took in this guy and a couple ladies this weekend. Am I on the right thread with him? The young man we got them from called them banty hens. Trying to learn more about them. Thanks!

Welcome @yoopergirl1211 and congrats on starting out with chickens!
1f600.png
Cute bird you have there! Sometimes people will use the term Banty in place of bantam. There are large fowl/ standard size chickens and bantams (small chickens) and there are many different breeds and varieties of each size. I was amazed when I first started out reading and learning how many different breeds there are!

So it looks like a bantam there, but it doesn't look like a bantam Cochin in the picture. Cochins have feathered legs and feet and it looks like a clean-legged breed you have.
1f642.png

Hope you can get some more feedback on breed as you look around here on the forum. There's a lot of helpful information around byc!
Warning: chickens are very addictive!!
1f604.png

Edited to add tag- quote reply didn't work.

Last edited:
Welcome @yoopergirl1211 and congrats on starting out with chickens!
1f600.png
Cute bird you have there! Sometimes people will use the term Banty in place of bantam. There are large fowl/ standard size chickens and bantams (small chickens) and there are many different breeds and varieties of each size. I was amazed when I first started out reading and learning how many different breeds there are!

So it looks like a bantam there, but it doesn't look like a bantam Cochin in the picture. Cochins have feathered legs and feet and it looks like a clean-legged breed you have.
1f642.png

Hope you can get some more feedback on breed as you look around here on the forum. There's a lot of helpful information around byc!
Warning: chickens are very addictive!!
1f604.png

Edited to add tag- quote reply didn't work.

Thanks! We inherited 8 chickens and 5 ducks when we moved into our new place last fall. I now have 27 chickens and 11 ducks plus 12 more ducks and three royal purple guineas on the way lol. I did a lot of research on the bigger breeds of chickens and wasn't planning on any more for now but our new rooster and his three ladies were to funny to pass up when we got our newest Muscovies this weekend. I hate not knowing enough about our new little guys! So bantam is a category and frizzle just means the feathers and yes definitely not Cochin after checking pictures. These are the ladies he came with.

If I understood the guy correctly our roo came with the white girl from hatchery. They would all be bantams and I just need to figure out breed or at least research bantams. I can handle that.
263a.png
I didn't even know frizzles couldn't fly. My husband mentioned not seeing him fly (hubby is absolutely in love with him even though he's teasing me for getting them) and made a ramp to the roost. And one last question how much extra do we need to do in winter to keep him warm. I read that frizzles can't keep heat well but can't yet find actual temp guidelines?

Thanks! We inherited 8 chickens and 5 ducks when we moved into our new place last fall. I now have 27 chickens and 11 ducks plus 12 more ducks and three royal purple guineas on the way lol. I did a lot of research on the bigger breeds of chickens and wasn't planning on any more for now but our new rooster and his three ladies were to funny to pass up when we got our newest Muscovies this weekend. I hate not knowing enough about our new little guys! So bantam is a category and frizzle just means the feathers and yes definitely not Cochin after checking pictures. These are the ladies he came with.

If I understood the guy correctly our roo came with the white girl from hatchery. They would all be bantams and I just need to figure out breed or at least research bantams. I can handle that.
263a.png
I didn't even know frizzles couldn't fly. My husband mentioned not seeing him fly (hubby is absolutely in love with him even though he's teasing me for getting them) and made a ramp to the roost. And one last question how much extra do we need to do in winter to keep him warm. I read that frizzles can't keep heat well but can't yet find actual temp guidelines?

It sounds like you've got a fun variety there! And the new hens are so cute!
I've read similar things about frizzles not being able to handle cold and honestly have not found that to be accurate at all! We don't do anything differently for our 5 frizzles- none of our 6 coops are heated and all of our birds can choose to go outside in single digit temps to 90+ degree weather. In fact I have a Calico frizzle hen who molted in January and had big areas missing feathers (thankfully coming back now!). She's the first bird out of her coop in the morning and the last one in! I'm of the opinion that if birds are raised in and acclimated to the local weather that they can do just fine. After 5-6 weeks of age when they are fully feathered we remove heat sources and they take it from there! We do make sure for all our birds that there are no drafts on them while on the roost at night and that roosts are sized so the toes can be covered by feathers. We provide heated waterers and keep bedding cleaned regularly to prevent ammonia build up. But that's the routine for frizzles and smooth, large fowl and bantams here!
1f604.png

Great thank you! My husband just built me an amazing new coop that is wonderfully draft free so hopefully we'll be good. I think I just figured out my two black and white girls are Silver Spangled Hamburg Bantams. So just need to work out the other two. My roo is around six months old will he be getting more feathers as he gets older. Or I should say do frizzles continue filling out for a bit yet or does it depend on the breed/chicken? My RIR rooster just started looking really good and I think he's about a year now. I can totally see my family wanting more frizzles now that we have one lol.

Great thank you! My husband just built me an amazing new coop that is wonderfully draft free so hopefully we'll be good. I think I just figured out my two black and white girls are Silver Spangled Hamburg Bantams. So just need to work out the other two. My roo is around six months old will he be getting more feathers as he gets older. Or I should say do frizzles continue filling out for a bit yet or does it depend on the breed/chicken? My RIR rooster just started looking really good and I think he's about a year now. I can totally see my family wanting more frizzles now that we have one lol.

Males definitely continue to fill out as they grow beyond the 6 month point (Females too!). You'll see the body mass increase for sure. The feathering can change especially on patterned birds but feather volume usually only increases past that point from my experience in a slower maturing bird. Diet has a big impact on feather quality as well. Protein is very important for feather growth so if your new boy was on a lower quality feed before you got him you might notice improvement there with a good diet.

Just as an example of my frizzles- this is a couple little ladies at about 5 1/2 weeks old:

...And here they are at about 16 weeks old:

Back
Top Bottom