Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Oh wow! They are adorable! Still trying to figure out best feed for everyone. We were using a basic layer feed with the calcium but the more reading I do I'm starting to think I want to switch over to non calcium and have that separately. Just finally found a great feed mill this weekend but it was to packed to start asking questions so I'm going back this week at a better time. I've been switching up treats too trying to find the ones they like and have a decent variety. The RIR were a mess when we moved in living in a horrible coop. The improvement since the new coop is amazing and I'm hoping we can keep getting them better. Thank you for answering my questions!

YAY!!!
woot.gif
CONGRATS on your hatch!!!! Enjoy all the fluffy cuteness overload!!! I can't wait to hatch!!!! We have had back t back snow storms so gonna have to wait for better spring weather
hmm.png

Aww man! That stinks about the weather. I live in Texas so our weather has been great for hatching.

Out of the 28 chicks, 3 have frizzed, and 2 are partridge colored!!!! I cannot wait to see what they look like all grown up!

It sounds like you've got a fun variety there! And the new hens are so cute!
I've read similar things about frizzles not being able to handle cold and honestly have not found that to be accurate at all! We don't do anything differently for our 5 frizzles- none of our 6 coops are heated and all of our birds can choose to go outside in single digit temps to 90+ degree weather. In fact I have a Calico frizzle hen who molted in January and had big areas missing feathers (thankfully coming back now!). She's the first bird out of her coop in the morning and the last one in! I'm of the opinion that if birds are raised in and acclimated to the local weather that they can do just fine. After 5-6 weeks of age when they are fully feathered we remove heat sources and they take it from there! We do make sure for all our birds that there are no drafts on them while on the roost at night and that roosts are sized so the toes can be covered by feathers. We provide heated waterers and keep bedding cleaned regularly to prevent ammonia build up. But that's the routine for frizzles and smooth, large fowl and bantams here!
1f604.png

Great info! I am working on plans for our coop...planning for 6 bantam cochins.
celebrate.gif
Is your coop insulated?

Aww man! That stinks about the weather. I live in Texas so our weather has been great for hatching.

Out of the 28 chicks, 3 have frizzed, and 2 are partridge colored!!!! I cannot wait to see what they look like all grown up!

LUCKY YOU!!!!
celebrate.gif
I will probably have to wait until late march or early april to even consider hatching
hmm.png
I brood indoors so that helps with those late snow storms, but no way for now. We need to get a good coop up before and there is just no building out there right now
roll.png
Expecting ANOTHER 5 days of rain turning to snow this weekend...so keep those cute fluffy chick pics coming!!!
caf.gif

Last edited:
Actually I just realized my new girls aren't Laying yet. I'm not even sure if I should be giving them layer feed?..

We usually move our girls over to layer feed at about 16-18 weeks of age. But we've also used an All Flock feed with oyster shell on the side which works just as well :)

Great info! I am working on plans for our coop...planning for 6 bantam cochins. :celebrate Is your coop insulated?

All 6 of our coops are insulated
1f604.png
We've got large, medium and small coops and have used a variety of things to insulate! We have 2 coops with regular R-11 rolled insulation, others with foam board, and we have even used rolled up empty feed bags between the studs in smaller areas. Then we covered everything with plywood so they're all double-walled. My husband likes to build thankfully lol so insulating was his idea
1f604.png

Here's one of our small coops:

We usually move our girls over to layer feed at about 16-18 weeks of age. But we've also used an All Flock feed with oyster shell on the side which works just as well :)
All 6 of our coops are insulated
1f604.png
We've got large, medium and small coops and have used a variety of things to insulate! We have 2 coops with regular R-11 rolled insulation, others with foam board, and we have even used rolled up empty feed bags between the studs in smaller areas. Then we covered everything with plywood so they're all double-walled. My husband likes to build thankfully lol so insulating was his idea
1f604.png

Here's one of our small coops:

Beautiful coop and thank you for the info!!!! I have been looking at coop kits and so far none are insulated so if we go with one...we are going to add the insulation for sure. Our temps drop from fall until spring so we stay pretty chilly the majority of the year
hmm.png

Th
Beautiful coop and thank you for the info!!!! I have been looking at coop kits and so far none are insulated so if we go with one...we are going to add the insulation for sure. Our temps drop from fall until spring so we stay pretty chilly the majority of the year:/

Thank you! And you're welcome lol. Yes those prefab coops are pretty thin from the ones I've seen anyway. You guys might like the foam board insulation for those- that way when you cover it up you aren't losing a lot of interior space.
One thing we found really useful for tight spaces like that is lauan plywood- you can get it 1/8" thick and it will cover up your insulation without making the coop really heavy to move :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom