Cochin Thread!!!

How can you tell if my cochin is broody?? And about what age does this happen?? She is 22 weeks old and has been laying eggs for about 3-4 weeks now. She' been sitting in one of the nesting boxes for 3 days now. Although she moved to a different box,I think she got kicked out by our JG, but I gave her the two eggs she was laying on and she tucked them under her. She gets very cranky when you get near her. If she is broody should I move her someplace else?I have a small coop with some little 5 week old cochins. Would that be a good place for her if she is really broody? Right now the nest is up off the floor about a foot or so.
Daisy is in the front. Her friend Tala is in the back. Tala is the only chicken she will share with. But Daisy still doesn't look very happy about it.

i have had cochins go broody that young, but they haven't been too reliable for sitting on the right eggs, staying in the same nest, etc. personally i let them sit a week or 2, then move them to another pen to break the broody thing. and putting a broody with other babies, she could just adopt them as hers or she could decide to kill them to protect her eggs. not a chance i'd take.

i have had cochins go broody that young, but they haven't been too reliable for sitting on the right eggs, staying in the same nest, etc. personally i let them sit a week or 2, then move them to another pen to break the broody thing. and putting a broody with other babies, she could just adopt them as hers or she could decide to kill them to protect her eggs. not a chance i'd take.
I figure if she stays on them for a week or two then I might move her. Or maybe I'll wait till the eggs hatch then move her before anything happens to her babies.

Attempt at Mille Fleur? Very poor gold laced??
I started out on the Breed/Gender site with a Silkie I have and had this question with it.
I wondered what color this bantam Cochin is supposed to be?. The two suggestions were... color project mille fleur and poor quality gold laced. I am not trying to get different answers by jumping back and forth between forums, I should have started here.
My last comment there is that the man I bought him from doesn't do projects but he does raise purebred birds. I wasn't planning on this bird/breed when i went to see him but when I saw the roo parent he had, chicken math kicked in.
I don't recall him saying either of those colors, but maybe he did.. If I can find his number again...I have been looking...I will call but he lives too far away to drive back for just that.
Maybe one of those colors above is correct and I didn't hear correctly...I wouldn't say I always hear everything 100%.
Anyway...here is the bantam roo Cochin that I shouldn't have bought but did!!! He is about 2-3 months old?

It looks to me like some sort of cross patterned bird. I see a few white feathers in the cushion, and there is no lacing, shafting, etc on this bird. A poorly laced bird will at least have shafting or something, shouldnt it? To me, it looks like a Buff Columbian gone wrong.

~Casey

Just2rosey -

I have a hatchery silver laced rooster pet that has fused outer toes on both feet. He isn't much other than a lap chicken, but that's ok as I have lots of others.

As I recall I read somewhere that it was related to too high temperature during incubation. I think it had to do with the rate of embryo development as I recall. I'll see if I can refine the article and post a reference.

EDIT in relooking for the mentioned reference I was apparently mistaken. Most references refer to it as a generic defect and/or folic acid deficiency in the parent stock. If you Google search for poultry fused toes you ahold find volumes of info.

Dave

Last edited:
Just wanted to share a few pics. Hope everyone enjoys. :)

And here is a pic of the little frizzle pullet I mentioned a while back. After loosing the best 2 I had, I was left with one frizzle pullet. She is still good, but nothing like what I lost. Thankfully one of the younger birds turned out to be a pullet, and she looks like a dandy. None of my other frizzles looked like this at this age, she is just shy of 8 weeks, pic was taken last week.

~Casey

Casey, that comb looks dangerous on the frizzle in the 2nd pic!

I had thought about possibly a poor Buff Columbian on the other pics, but it looked to me like the undercolor was black. Hmmm . . . guess we'll all have to wait another month or two!

I have a question I should probably know the answer to, but some things just seem to pass me by. What causes lack of pigment around the eyes - even when the comb and wattles are the correct color?

Last edited:
Dangerous good or dangerous bad?...*Side thought*(To be honest, his comb is my least favorite thing about this bird. It just seems like it will be to large as an adult?)

~Casey

Dangerous good or dangerous bad?...*Side thought*(To be honest, his comb is my least favorite thing about this bird. It just seems like it will be to large as an adult?)

~Casey
LOL - dangerous bad! When he puts his head down like that, he looks like he could poke someone's eye out.

Any thoughts as to my question about lack of pigment around the eyes?

Im not sure to be honest, thats why I didnt say anything. I dont like giving my opinion about things like this, because I am unsure if its correct. Id rather not say anything feeling unsure, than spread false information accidently. But, since you twisted my arm and all, lol, I believe its something to do with nutrients, vitamins something like that? I notice it in females that have layed regularly for a while, and also birds that are broody. I also think it is a sign of calmness, being scared, etc. and they can control exactly how red they want their face to be, but I really dont know. I thought I read that somewhere, but cant remember where.

~Casey

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom