Cochin Thread!!!

Hey all, my continued test breedings are revealing even more oddities.

This chick is from a partridge cross to white, what is strange about it, is that my white birds also appear to carry mottling.

i am wondering if any other breeders of mottled birds have notice this. But this birds wing primary feathers are pure white. It isnt something i have seen on my other mottled birds. Will try and get a better pic of it.

Very nice yellow feet at least. Seems like all my stock carries mottling.
Andy are you sure she's a Mottled? She looks a bit like a Blue to me, but out of Partridge and White - cheeze - the genetics thing never ceases to amaze me. Nice chick no matter what. :)

Greetings from Portland, OR. Today we adopted 3 Barred Cochins off a local Facebook group. Converted a 6x8 Costco plastic shed into a henhouse. This is the first time that my family has had chickens. The kids were all very excited as was my wife. I plan on enclosing the side of my house and cutting a hatch on the side of the shed. That way they can go in and out during the day but can be locked in at night.

Congrats on the new birds, they look like barred rocks though. Still a great utility breed. Night protection is crucial, make sure you get them well locked up as soon as possible.

Edit- They actually look more like barred wyandottes.

Not cochins. Cochins have feathery feet. I don't know that they are wyandottes. Wyandottes should have yellow legs and a heavier body.

Without a clear picture that I can enlarge (I'm on my phone), I'd say dominque. Definitely not cochins, though. (And I wouldn't be surprised if they were boys. ;) )

Greetings from Portland, OR. Today we adopted 3 Barred Cochins off a local Facebook group. Converted a 6x8 Costco plastic shed into a henhouse. This is the first time that my family has had chickens. The kids were all very excited as was my wife. I plan on enclosing the side of my house and cutting a hatch on the side of the shed. That way they can go in and out during the day but can be locked in at night.
sorry to say, those aren't cochins... Dominiques most likely.

cochins are round, have a single come and heavily feathered feet/legs...

Like a few others have suggested, those are not cochins. Based on their combs, pattern, and body shape, I'm thinking that they're dominiques.

Hey guys, my day old chicks have what I think is lice. They were broody hatched. I have never had lice before on my farm. I don't know how they got it, but they are in a brooder in my house. I have to get rid of the bugs!Can I use the Poultry dust from the feed store on them? I have two coops, an outdoor brooder with a momma and 3 chicks that are a week old, and half of my silkie coop has a broody momma in the process of hatching chicks that will need to be treated also. I am really stressing out about this. I am trying to avoid anything that will hurt their tiny lungs. Help!!!!

Personally I wouldn't use poultry dust on chicks. Maybe try bathing them or rubbing in a little DE to get most of the lice off. Once they are old enough, you can treat them with the dust.

Beautiful!

Hey guys, my day old chicks have what I think is lice. They were broody hatched. I have never had lice before on my farm. I don't know how they got it, but they are in a brooder in my house. I have to get rid of the bugs!Can I use the Poultry dust from the feed store on them? I have two coops, an outdoor brooder with a momma and 3 chicks that are a week old, and half of my silkie coop has a broody momma in the process of hatching chicks that will need to be treated also. I am really stressing out about this. I am trying to avoid anything that will hurt their tiny lungs. Help!!!!
I would not use a dust on the babies yet either. You do need to treat the broody mothers. Use either Ivermectin (1 drop under each wing).

Or use Adams Flea and Tick spray on the hens and chicks. You can wear a rubber glove, spritz it on your hand and gently rub that onto the fuzz of the chicks. Wont get them all, but will certainly offer relief. On some breeds, Adams can affect fertility in the rooster until it wears off.

Mix dust into the favorite dusting spot for the big birds. Let them dust themselves. When chicks are two weeks old, even if the mothers have a little dust one their feathers when returning to the clutch, it will not be too significant.

It has been my experience that chicks begin dusting at about one week of age.

Change out the nest material where the babies are as lice and eggs can be in there.
Wild birds carry mites and lice into your coops as they seek food and shelter.

Last edited:
Per Brian Reeder's "Intro to Color Forms of the Domestic Fowl", "Barred birds should also carry Co and K (slow-feathering), to make the barring distinct rather than "Cuckoo". They need to be S and ap+ to create a truly silvery-white bird. When s+ and/or Ap is present, the bird will be brassy, or look crele."
I maid a cross with my barred cochin hen. I think my roo has S+ not sure about Ap. He was just barred as a youngster but as hes maturing he is getting the beetle green feathers and is now getting these neck hackles coming in. would this color in his neck be considered Brassy or looking crele. the color in his neck has only started to come in this past week or two. he is also getting a few red feathers in his shoulders. and i believe hes only around 20 weeks old

LL
LL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom