Cochin Thread!!!

This is my newest Baby..
celebrate.gif
Just got her today. She is a mottled bantam cochin, almost a year old. Love her already, probably one of the sweetest birds and we just brought her home. I think she would sit on my lap and watch TV if I let her........
clap.gif

This is Lana

I think she likes to pose!!!!
Aww!!, so cute!! Looks like my little hen, Bentley!

This is my newest Baby..
celebrate.gif
Just got her today. She is a mottled bantam cochin, almost a year old. Love her already, probably one of the sweetest birds and we just brought her home. I think she would sit on my lap and watch TV if I let her........
clap.gif

This is Lana

I think she likes to pose!!!!
Very pretty and great that she is so sweet. :)

Question please and thank you regarding incubation of Bantam Cochin eggs. I had some cooking that are at day 18, I've candled and laid the viable eggs to rest. To date I've only hatched LF. I have noticed a big difference with humidity drops with these, I have to stay on it constantly to keep it level. In my never ending research lol I've read a chart in Gail Damerow's "Hatching & Brooding" (pg 175) that claims Bantams have a shorter incubation time by a few days. Has anyone out there noticed this? I'm a boiling pot watcher any way, but just wondering. Curious minds (this one) would like to know.
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Question please and thank you regarding incubation of Bantam Cochin eggs. I had some cooking that are at day 18, I've candled and laid the viable eggs to rest. To date I've only hatched LF. I have noticed a big difference with humidity drops with these, I have to stay on it constantly to keep it level. In my never ending research lol I've read a chart in Gail Damerow's "Hatching & Brooding" (pg 175) that claims Bantams have a shorter incubation time by a few days. Has anyone out there noticed this? I'm a boiling pot watcher any way, but just wondering. Curious minds (this one) would like to know. :jumpy  

Hi! Yes, most of mine usually hatch one day early. Rarely two days early, but I do have some that hatch at 21...any later than that I've found they die. This is just my experience :)

Hi! Yes, most of mine usually hatch one day early. Rarely two days early, but I do have some that hatch at 21...any later than that I've found they die. This is just my experience
smile.png
Thanks a bunch. It is day 18 today, based on what I had read I set them last night (not too late in the game I hope). Usually I can hear my LF babies making noise before they hatch, so far there is silence in the incubator. I set 8 out of an original 13 (5 were not fertile). Thanks so much for the info. I'll be positing proud Mama pics hopefully soon. Either way I'll have heads up for next go round.

These chicks are a cross between a mille Fleur roo and a barred hen. Can they be sexed by their heads spots or do I have to wait? Also, would they be split to mille Fleur? I don't know much about genetics so im curious as to what they would produce.

Ok, I'm sure that I'm in denial; however, thought I'd ask anyway. I'm fairly certain this is a rooster.....6/7 weeks, Bantam Frizzle Cochin (we picked them up on St. Patricks day as day old chicks). This is my son's bird that was supposed to be a pullet. Question 2, what do you keep bantam roosters for (says my husband)? This was Patty, but may have to rename him to Patrick.

Ok, I'm sure that I'm in denial; however, thought I'd ask anyway. I'm fairly certain this is a rooster.....6/7 weeks, Bantam Frizzle Cochin (we picked them up on St. Patricks day as day old chicks). This is my son's bird that was supposed to be a pullet. Question 2, what do you keep bantam roosters for (says my husband)? This was Patty, but may have to rename him to Patrick.

I like Patrick, tell hubby Patrick will protect you when he is not around…sort of a small guard dog.lol

He may produce more frizzles....which may be easy to sell or give away.

Back
Top Bottom