Cochin Thread!!!

She will grow her feathers back out after a molt, they will just slowly fall or break off over the year, so sometimes she will look better than other times, I do think I remember reading that a frazzle will produce 100% frizzles, but don't quote this old lady brain.
Thank you! I Actually took these pictures about 3 weeks ago.
she definitely looks worse. Poor baby ! Out here I'm afraid she will get sun burnt. Not something I ever thought I would have to deal with.

Last edited:
She is a frazzle, the feathers break off easy, it's what happens when frizzle is bred to frizzle, I had one, he survived two years, on his second year he was nearly bald, I called him the creepy thing, they will molt like a regular chicken but as I said the feathers fall out and break off easy, not much can be done.
Do you have pictures of him? Did he pass do to bad gentics?

He just got sick and died, it happens in the fall sometimes, I believe from all the wild birds passing through, plus he was stressed from the lack of feathers and being on the bottom of the rooster pecking order.

He's the red one on the right

Here's another blue frazzle I had

This is a frizzle hen, you can see the difference

Awww , he's cute ! Curly is at bottom of pecking order as well! This year we are suppose to get a ton of rain! Thank goodness . However we have to modify Oliver coops for flooding issues I'll have to make her a special little spot. I bet he was sweet. Sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing with me.

Where do you all house your Cochin's? Do they have their own coop, free range or do you house them with other chickens?

Last edited:
All my bantam chickens have separate housing from my large birds, they also have a run, and access to free range all they want, they spend a lot of time in their run digging, or inside being broody.

Wouldn't that make fried chicken, lol, I'm imagining rubbing a little naked chicken down with oil, sorry, you made me laugh. Learning every day.

Hello all, new member here. I had cochins (just pets) 30 some years ago and just recently got back into the breed. I picked up a Blue rooster and two White hens last weekend and a Black hen with Brown neck feathers today. Have a question about the color Blue. I see some people talk about Blue chickens and some talk about Self-Blue. I would like to know the difference is and could anyone tell me which Blue my rooster might be from this pic.

Thanks for any help and will probably have more questions as time goes on.

OK, I did a search on site and found out a lot about the Blue-Self Blue question. I guess I should have did that before posting
hmm.png
. And I imagine this rooster is too young to tell yet which one he is. OPPS didn't see the replies to my thread until after I posted. Thanks everyone for your replies.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom