Cochin Thread!!!

Black frizzle Pullet

I'm a semi new byc owner. I'm upgrading my coop and getting some new chicks this summer. I was thinking about getting a blue cochin. Is there anything I should know about the breed before I commit? Right now I have an Americauna & speckled sussex. I'll be getting a polish & silkie in March (this would also be when I get the cochin).
I live in Indianapolis, so our weather is a bit bipolar. As of right now my chickens are not free range, but once we fence in our yard I'll let them out more often. The run is a descent size to make up for not being free range.
I guess I'm just curious about the breed. Are they good egg layers, easily adaptable to weather, generally gets along well with other breeds, etc?
Thanks guys!

I'm a semi new byc owner. I'm upgrading my coop and getting some new chicks this summer. I was thinking about getting a blue cochin. Is there anything I should know about the breed before I commit? Right now I have an Americauna & speckled sussex. I'll be getting a polish & silkie in March (this would also be when I get the cochin). 
I live in Indianapolis, so our weather is a bit bipolar.  As of right now my chickens are not free range, but once we fence in our yard I'll let them out more often. The run is a descent size to make up for not being free range. 
I guess I'm just curious about the breed. Are they good egg layers, easily adaptable to weather, generally gets along well with other breeds, etc?
Thanks guys!
They are average to poor layers, both bantam and standard, the standard lay small eggs for their size. They tend to go broody multiple times a year. Otherwise they are big gentle friendly birds, or little friendly ones for bantam.

They are definitely winter hardy. Some say they have troubles with the feathered feet getting wet and muddy but I haven't had that trouble. Mine get dirty but are clean the next day. I have both standard and bantam. They are good with other breeds as they aren't usually pushy or dominant.

They are average to poor layers, both bantam and standard, the standard lay small eggs for their size. They tend to go broody multiple times a year. Otherwise they are big gentle friendly birds, or little friendly ones for bantam.

They are definitely winter hardy. Some say they have troubles with the feathered feet getting wet and muddy but I haven't had that trouble. Mine get dirty but are clean the next day. I have both standard and bantam. They are good with other breeds as they aren't usually pushy or dominant.

Mine are the best layers and mostly because in the North Dakota climate they have the feather warmth to keep them warm and more efficient so they can use more energy laying the egg then common breeds. there eggs are small for such big birds though.

I live in Indianapolis, so our weather is a bit bipolar.  As of right now my chickens are not free range, but once we fence in our yard I'll let them out more often. The run is a descent size to make up for not being free range. 
Thanks guys!

They do well confined. They should do well in your climate. They get along wonderfully with other breeds.

Most hatcheries do not sell straight blues though so there is a chance of getting a Black or Splash also

Mine are the best layers and mostly because in the North Dakota climate they have the feather warmth to keep them warm and more efficient so they can use more energy laying the egg then common breeds. there eggs are small for such big birds though.
They do well confined. They should do well in your climate. They get along wonderfully with other breeds.

Most hatcheries do not sell straight blues though so there is a chance of getting a Black or Splash also
How many eggs a week do you see out of them? Mine lay in spurts than often go broody after about a month or so of laying. I know new layers will lay a lot more than second season layers. Source and breeding behind a bird can play a big role in production too. I'm comparing them to what a leghorn or sex link would lay, as those breeds being excellent, but either way I just adore them.

How many eggs a week do you see out of them? Mine lay in spurts than often go broody after about a month or so of laying. I know new layers will lay a lot more than second season layers. Source and breeding behind a bird can play a big role in production too. I'm comparing them to what a leghorn or sex link would lay, as those breeds being excellent, but either way I just adore them.

Last week the 2 laid 11 eggs. And they're breeder birds. They lay better then my Leghorns and rsls
1f602.png

Back
Top Bottom