Trigger

Reba

Beau

Twister

and the fabulous Ms. Dorothy

celebrate.gif
clap.gif
wee.gif

I had so much fun reading through this thread!! I LOVE our barred cochin bantams! We call them the "sockes" One pink socks or Pinky and one blue socks cause he is a roo for sure. They are 4 weeks old and so sweet!!

Was gifted 3 bantam hens and one cock last summer. The cock and two hens are white Japanese the 3rd hen a black cochin. her I fell in love with. This year I have told my family to find cochin babies for me. My husband came home with six cochin babes mixed types. Two are white and black not clear yet what to call them, three are brown with gold spots on wings, one I am sure is not cochin. It is white, has a puffy looking crown so was guessing silky or sultan. Counted its toes last night- it has 6 toes on right foot and 5 on left so must be sulton with an extra toe- no idea if its a hen or cock. Of the other babes there is only one definate cock one of the black and white ones. Any way I am a happy cochin person now and plan on staying one. I love this thread and have learned alot from others on here. As soon as I can get some clear photos will show my babies here and maybe find out what I have for sure.

Ki4got, Sorry my quote button doesn't seem to want to work this morning.

Thank you your reply and the feedback. Five to six LF would be a good amount for me and I think I've (almost) decided to go with LF. Still curious about the size difference to other bantams. The Cochin bantams may be plenty big for me. Ugh, so confused.

Anyone else have currently have Silkies and Cochins and can weigh in on the size difference? Or better yet, have pictures? :D

Hey Ya'll
I am hoping you could help me pick out a new roo from this batch I picked up for a song a couple of weeks ago. I need to sell the extras at a big swap coming up in a couple of weeks.

Roo number 1 is the one in the cent of this picture. He is my current favorite (I think, maybe...)

Roo number 2.

Roo number 3, he was also the roo to the left in picture #1

Roo # 4 looks like his comb was injured at some point.

Group shot, the other two girls are in the house laying.

I think I like Roo's one and two the best> Thanks everyone>

Last edited:
After posting pics of my blue cochin at 6 weeks, I received lots of feedback that it was a cockerel and others that said it was a pullet, so still not sure; however, thought I would report some behavior and see if anyone has noticed that in their young cochins. He/she likes to peck a lot and seems to be a little bit of a bully - definitely establishing him/herself at the top of the pecking order, except that my buff orpington chick who is the same age puts him/her back in line. I am certain that my BO is a pullet and she definitely doesn't put up with the cochin's behavior. So, does that sound like a cockerel or just a bossy pullet, or is it still a wait and see thing?

I forgot to share!
My first black x blue pair gave me my first chick this week!

I hatched the roo from Sue Tillman's eggs and the hen is from Rosalyn Picken's eggs.
I know the hen is not the best, but she's the best I have hatched from Ros's eggs. She's runty, but I like her overall shape. I wish she was fuller, though.

And the chick!

I forgot to share! My first black x blue pair gave me my first chick this week! I hatched the roo from Sue Tillman's eggs and the hen is from Rosalyn Picken's eggs. I know the hen is not the best, but she's the best I have hatched from Ros's eggs. She's runty, but I like her overall shape. I wish she was fuller, though. And the chick!
I love them both! I got my hen from her.

Hey Ya'll I am hoping you could help me pick out a new roo from this batch I picked up for a song a couple of weeks ago. I need to sell the extras at a big swap coming up in a couple of weeks. Roo number 1 is the one in the cent of this picture. He is my current favorite (I think, maybe...) Roo number 2. Roo number 3, he was also the roo to the left in picture #1 Roo # 4 looks like his comb was injured at some point. Group shot, the other two girls are in the house laying. I think I like Roo's one and two the best> Thanks everyone>
My favorite is Roo #1

Back
Top Bottom