Cochin Thread!!!

Its just that the silver laced are so far and few between to find any bit of correctly marked birds.  If you love this coloring and you have a hen you could go to this site on facebook, https://www.facebook.com/groups/384604001637431/ you would have to go back a ways in the thread but there are some that are working on this color to get more information about this variety, and how difficult it is because you have to "double breed" meaning you have to have separate pens to try to breed correct colored males and different pens to breed correct colored females, hence everyones reaction to please do not cross anything into a silver laced bird.  The folks working on this variety i believe are just a few states north of you so not too far if you wanted to have birds shipped to you to join in the project.  We can definitely use all the passionate folks we can get working on some of our preservation standard colors.

What a fool I am! Got her straight run from a local feed store who ordered from Ideal Poultry. I had no idea how special this variety is. I just know she's my sweet little sugar plum! So if I'm ever interested in breeding her, don't do the buff, instead she should be bred only to another silver laced? Jeez, that's what I get for thinking!

Quote:
Jayland - Blue birchen is most often called Silver Blue which is a nonstandard variety in Cochins. (Its genetic relative Lemon Blue is a standard variety). The difference between silver Blue and Birchen is that the blue (allele) replaces one of the black alleles thus producing the blue color. In breeding Silver blue to silver blue you could get more silver blues, birchen, and possibly a splash variety (looks like most other splashes). The most striking appearance would be with a good clear blue rather than one darkened by melanizers. I have a few around and will look up photos later. Dave

Those of you that show your bantam cochins, what dimensions are the cages do you all use to condition your individual birds before a show? I don't have any of the fancy banks of cages that I've been drooling over and not the time or space to build them right now. I am thinking of picking up a few rabbit cages but want to make sure whatever I get is big enough for them to flap their wings in and be comfortable. Thoughts?

Those of you that show your bantam cochins, what dimensions are the cages do you all use to condition your individual birds before a show? I don't have any of the fancy banks of cages that I've been drooling over and not the time or space to build them right now. I am thinking of picking up a few rabbit cages but want to make sure whatever I get is big enough for them to flap their wings in and be comfortable. Thoughts?
The real show cages aren't that big and comfortable, definitely not big enough to rear up and flap their wings. I'm going to guess the size may be about 16" to 18" square. The door opening is probably what you might want to practice more than anything else. They are quite small, I need put my hand under them between the legs while kind of hold the legs with the thumb around one leg the pinky finger on the outside of the other. I then reach in with my other hand and place it on the back to keep the wings from flapping and to get their head down level, then pull them out in a nice neat ball.

The real show cages aren't that big and comfortable, definitely not big enough to rear up and flap their wings. I'm going to guess the size may be about 16" to 18" square. The door opening is probably what you might want to practice more than anything else. They are quite small, I need put my hand under them between the legs while kind of hold the legs with the thumb around one leg the pinky finger on the outside of the other. I then reach in with my other hand and place it on the back to keep the wings from flapping and to get their head down level, then pull them out in a nice neat ball.

I do have a double bantam show cage for practicing that, but I mean more for the month before. I've read that I am supposed to keep them more or less solitary confined for about a month and imagine I would want them to be able to flap their wings, and not lose muscle tone.

Thank you for the explanation of removing them from a show cage though. I would rather not feel like a fool when I can't get my chicken out of the cage at a show!
big_smile.png

I just found somebody with this cage used for only $30, so I think I will give that a try. I am intrigued by the floor, meant to be for a rabbit. Hopefully it will let chicken poo through it as well!

http://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Produc...1384905459&sr=8-1&keywords=prevue+rabbit+cage

Last edited:
Quote:
Jayland - Blue birchen is most often called Silver Blue which is a nonstandard variety in Cochins. (Its genetic relative Lemon Blue is a standard variety). The difference between silver Blue and Birchen is that the blue (allele) replaces one of the black alleles thus producing the blue color. In breeding Silver blue to silver blue you could get more silver blues, birchen, and possibly a splash variety (looks like most other splashes). The most striking appearance would be with a good clear blue rather than one darkened by melanizers. I have a few around and will look up photos later. Dave
Ok, awesome htat was really helpful. Thanks

I do have a double bantam show cage for practicing that, but I mean more for the month before. I've read that I am supposed to keep them more or less solitary confined for about a month and imagine I would want them to be able to flap their wings, and not lose muscle tone.

Thank you for the explanation of removing them from a show cage though. I would rather not feel like a fool when I can't get my chicken out of the cage at a show!
big_smile.png

I just found somebody with this cage used for only $30, so I think I will give that a try. I am intrigued by the floor, meant to be for a rabbit. Hopefully it will let chicken poo through it as well!

http://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Produc...1384905459&sr=8-1&keywords=prevue+rabbit+cage

Preface that this is just my two cents and I am a complete novice. We've done one show and no one I know conditioned their chickens to a cage. We didn't and our chickens were fine. We moved them around a couple times in them and they were fine. I can't imagine leaving them in a cage for that long! A day before maybe two at the most. Of course, again, I don't know anything except my one experience. We'll be showing again in Jan and will not be conditioning again either. (btw all of our girls placed, 2- 1st, 1- 2nd, and 1- 4th all against competition).

Preface that this is just my two cents and I am a complete novice. We've done one show and no one I know conditioned their chickens to a cage. We didn't and our chickens were fine. We moved them around a couple times in them and they were fine. I can't imagine leaving them in a cage for that long! A day before maybe two at the most. Of course, again, I don't know anything except my one experience. We'll be showing again in Jan and will not be conditioning again either. (btw all of our girls placed, 2- 1st, 1- 2nd, and 1- 4th all against competition).

I'm about 2 1/2 weeks from the show (Knoxville ABA Nationals), so I will probably separate him that long so he is in as good of shape as possible. It might take a couple foot feather scrubbing sessions to get them back to white again so no more playing in the mud before then! Just some nice saunters in the grass. :) I probably should have picked a different show for my first, but since we are driving down there anyway, I thought I might as well bring one of my cochins and give it my best.

Your first show? Congrats! I go to many within my state. I plan to get more cochins to show, because my cock does not do very well. The only problems I have with those cages is that they are too small for fluffier birds like cochins and brahmas. (bantams) It is a tight squeeze. Pack things to do! Shows get really boring. I know you probably know this, but bring lots of water. Do not feed your bird until he has been judged, and do not walk in an isle that the judge is judging in. It is disrespectful, and the judge needs space to stand back and look at the birds. water your birds in plastic dixie cups. Have fun!!

Back
Top Bottom