Cochin Thread!!!

Couldn't resist bringing my cockerel back in for a visit today since my husband and kids are visiting grandma. At least I will have some company while I am sewing in the basement. He seems quite fond of the space heater! Trying to think of a star/space related name for him, so far I've just been calling him "Mr. Chicken".
What about Obi Wan?? Obi woukd be a super cute name for a Roo!!! Just Sayin....ha

Arabella is so lovely to look at!
Thank you
smile.png

This may sound like a silly question, but at what age does it take for Cochins to get that rounded "ball shaped" tail feathers? And are there certain types of Cochins with, like a slow feathering gene that would make that take longer?

This may sound like a silly question, but at what age does it take for Cochins to get that rounded "ball shaped" tail feathers? And are there certain types of Cochins with, like a slow feathering gene that would make that take longer?

Not a silly question at all. I had never thought about it until you asked. Some never get them and some as early as 6 months. Exceptions here seems to be Partridge more than any other variety. Males take so long to get their pattern and shape in my Partridge line. I never let them take more than 8 months. If not showing type by then I will remove them from the flock. I can't use males that take any longer to develop.

Not a silly question at all. I had never thought about it until you asked. Some never get them and some as early as 6 months.  Exceptions here seems to be Partridge more than any other variety. Males take so long to get their pattern and shape in my Partridge line. I never let them take more than 8 months. If not showing type by then I will remove them from the flock. I can't use males that take any longer to develop.

thanks I have a partridge hen she is 15 weeks old and I keep wondering if she'll ever get that lovely cochin shape...she isn't there yet, but hopefully she'll fill out in the next couple months:)

Back
Top Bottom