Cochin Thread!!!

I know everyone is curious about what they have. Doesn't much matter since they will change a bit at every molt. .Enjoy the journey and post pictures again when they are grown. Love some of the pictures.

I agree! even the solid colors change as they grow. my reds and buffs come out looking barred/partridge then lose the markings, others come out looking solid only to gain pattern as they grow. others yet just change constantly until they're nearing point of lay, so you really never know how good they'll be.

I think that's why a lot of old time breeders would hold off on breeding until they were over a year old. then you KNEW what you had. that's especially true I'm finding, in laced varieties. but even my 'simple' silver grey dorkings change a lot (type wise) until they're probably 14-16 months old sometimes. then again, they're also known for being SLOW growers.

Last edited:
Can't find an answer to my question. I am going to be raising Black and Barred Bantam Cochins. My question is.....Are Naked Neck Cochins something people are working on? Or a they really cochin? Like can you put them in with normal cochins, or would it be better to keep NN Cochins separate?

Would anyone know of anyone that would ship an adult cochin or know of anyone around terre haute indiana..im in need of a show quality cochin fast..4-h and state fair is coming up..could anyone help me..much be thanked

Can't find an answer to my question. I am going to be raising Black and Barred Bantam Cochins. My question is.....Are Naked Neck Cochins something people are working on? Or a they really cochin? Like can you put them in with normal cochins, or would it be better to keep NN Cochins separate?
NO. The real Cochin breeders I know are not. Would have trouble finding much if any acceptance within the Cochin Community that get varieties recognized.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I recently inherited a RIR, and already have 3 cochin hens and a cochin roo. Well, today is only the second full day I have had the RIR, who is full grown. Well, they all do fine in the coop but outside, one of the cochin girls, pecks at her, and they all kind surround the RIR, so the RIR rarely has come out of the coop. Also, my roo has pecked her a few times when I first put them together, now he leaves her alone for the most part. I guess I just want to know if this is normal? I have never had anything other then Cochins, and have never introduced anything to them, since I got those 4 all at the same time.

Hey everyone, I recently inherited a RIR, and already have 3 cochin hens and a cochin roo. Well, today is only the second full day I have had the RIR, who is full grown. Well, they all do fine in the coop but outside, one of the cochin girls, pecks at her, and they all kind surround the RIR, so the RIR rarely has come out of the coop. Also, my roo has pecked her a few times when I first put them together, now he leaves her alone for the most part. I guess I just want to know if this is normal? I have never had anything other then Cochins, and have never introduced anything to them, since I got those 4 all at the same time. 
That's normal, just establishing the pecking order.

It's always normal for chickens to peck and argue, particularly when a new bird is introduced, but you're lucky this is all that they are doing to her. You will need to watch very closely because your new bird needs to eat and drink and the hens may not allow that to happen. The rooster I wouldn't worry about, they always peck their hens to make sure they know their place, but hens are regular "B's" and it's not uncommon for them to gang up on a new bird and kill it. Thankfully your NG (new girl) is a full grown large fowl, I'm assuming the Cochins are bantams. If it gets any worse (and it could) you'll need to house the NG by herself but in a pen or cage where the other birds can have full view and access to her without being able to actually GET to her. Something like an exercise pen or a large dog crate. Eventually then you will hopefully be able to open the pen or crate and let her come out on her own, in her own time, and this could take several days. That's the only way I've ever really had it work without a bunch of fighting and belly aching and sometimes blood. I never let it come to that, in my experience once it's that bad, there's no going back. I've got one hen that always carries herself in a very submissive posture and needless to say it invites an attack. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom