Cochin Thread!!!

Ok cochin lovers/more experienced cochin people. I am going to buy my first ever cochin chicks today and I am not allowed to have roosters so if they turn out to be roos I will have to re home them witch will break my heart so I have down research and what I have found there's not an exact way to sex the chicks. Do any of you have any secret tricks or ways to help the chances of picking a pullet... Please help!

With my chicks, from day one comb size is a pretty good indicator. I'm not sure how old the chicks are, but I would compare them all and only take the ones with smaller combs. If they are only a few days old, the pullet combs may be so small you can barely make them out.

Ok cochin lovers/more experienced cochin people. I am going to buy my first ever cochin chicks today and I am not allowed to have roosters so if they turn out to be roos I will have to re home them witch will break my heart so I have down research and what I have found there's not an exact way to sex the chicks. Do any of you have any secret tricks or ways to help the chances of picking a pullet... Please help!

With my chicks, from day one comb size is a pretty good indicator. I'm not sure how old the chicks are, but I would compare them all and only take the ones with smaller combs. If they are only a few days old, the pullet combs may be so small you can barely make them out.

I bought them on fri may 2'nd. They arrived at the feed store Thursday may 1,st so I assume they were born wed. April 30'th so the were 2 days old. There combs were super tiny.

New hatchlings from our hens and roosters.
14 0f 14 all hatched with 12 hours start to finish. (5-3-14) One splayed leg chick that is currently in therapy and expected to resume normal activities soon.
Have another batch for next weekend's hatch. Hard to keep em still for their class photo.

I bought them on fri may 2'nd. They arrived at the feed store Thursday may 1,st so I assume they were born wed. April 30'th so the were 2 days old. There combs were super tiny.

Both male and female combs will be very tiny at that age, but in my birds anyway the pullets' combs are so small that they are barely visible. Some hatchery strains may have pullets with larger than usual combs though, so it is hard to say if this method will work all the time.

Here's my newly hatched batch of 20!

My persistant broody, Lil Mama, FINALLY hatched her first baby ever! I'm so proud of her! I was kinda worried because she was sitting on that clutch forever. She was still eating and drinking and taking that giant poop daily, so I figured let nature take its course.
Now my question is, does the chick look ridiculously giant for a banty cochin/silkie cross?
I think Im just trippin.

Back
Top Bottom