Cochin Thread!!!

Quote:
recessive genes can hide for generations. if you bought blacks, you got blacks, they just carry self blue. their black offspring will still be 100% breedable and showable as blacks, but they may pass self blue along.

if you don't want them carrying self blue at all, I would probably go to a show breeder who specializes in blacks. it's unlikely they've crossed anything into their lines.

if you were breeding for the silver laced, you don't cross silver lace with black. it would take YEARS to get back to the silver lacing.

UPDATE:
Update on my cochin chicks! They are now 9 weeks old and 6 weeks old with 1 7 week old.All pullets! All happy! All healthy! All beautiful! My phone is being stupid again and won't let me upload pics.... Grrrr!
Oh and rainbow my rescue is doing great now! Still has not started to lay eggs yet but is getting new feather growth and her cut is almost gone!!!!!! In putting her in with my flock today! Fingers crossed she doesn't get picked on.
YAY! So glad to hear all are doing well and Rainbow is getting healthy and happy! What a lucky girl to have you
love.gif

recessive genes can hide for generations. if you bought blacks, you got blacks, they just carry self blue. their black offspring will still be 100% breedable and showable as blacks, but they may pass self blue along.

if you don't want them carrying self blue at all, I would probably go to a show breeder who specializes in blacks. it's unlikely they've crossed anything into their lines.

if you were breeding for the silver laced, you don't cross silver lace with black. it would take YEARS to get back to the silver lacing.

no I just had the silver lace with the blacks because thats all the cochins I had at the time, looking for a silver lace rooster for her :) Thanks for the info

Here is Jewel's little chicks today. They are starting to get tiny wing feathers.

Cole 10 days old

Snow White 8 days old

Maybaline 8 days old

Sunshine 7 days old

Jewel my wonderful Momma hen, she is doing such a wonderful job. The chicks really keep her on her toes now. The only one that stays close and listens to her well is Cole. Snow White is crazy hyper all the time. Sunshine is the most independent and Maybaline likes to wander further then Jewel likes. They all think Jewel is a great jungle gym and when she takes time to rest they climb all over her.

Last edited:
Here is Jewel's little chicks today. They are starting to get tiny wing feathers.

Cole 10 days old

Snow White 8 days old

Maybaline 8 days old

Sunshine 7 days old

Jewel my wonderful Momma hen, she is doing such a wonderful job. The chicks really keep her on her toes now. The only one that stays close and listens to her well is Cole. Snow White is crazy hyper all the time. Sunshine is the most independent and Maybaline likes to wander further then Jewel likes. They all think Jewel is a great jungle gym and when she takes time to rest they climb all over her.
Awww..they are adorable
love.gif
And what a good mama Jewel is!!!! Hope my broody is too!!!!! Sunshine is really a beautiful chick!!!

Back
Top Bottom