Cochin Thread!!!

Hey guys, I just got my first pair of cochins yesterday. They were hatched on 11/10/2014 and were the only pure whites I could find within reasonable driving distance. My question is are cochins ever crested or does it seem that they are crossed with polish or something to give them the crests? I am not much worried about their comparison to SOP, just wondering where my new birds stand. Thank You in advance.
My roo

My pullet

Thank
What you have there is a Frizzled (because of the feathering) "Sizzle". It's a Cochin & Silkie Cross.

Thank You. I know about the frizzle part but didn't even think about the silkie crests. My wife, who does not at all care for chickens, saw a picture of a white frizzle cochin and said it was cute so I set out to find her a hen. However, after 2 weeks of searching, nobody around here has pure white bantam cochins. I found this pair about 2 hours away and we picked them up yesterday and although the frizzle is a cockerel, my wife was happy. Twofold is that we hatched our first batch of eggs last weekend and that's the first she has showed any care for my chickens. well I'm hoping this cochin will go broody because I believe my wife go crazy over a mother hen. So needless to say, I am trying desperately to get my wife more interested in chickens.

Hey guys, I just got my first pair of cochins yesterday. They were hatched on 11/10/2014 and were the only pure whites I could find within reasonable driving distance. My question is are cochins ever crested or does it seem that they are crossed with polish or something to give them the crests? I am not much worried about their comparison to SOP, just wondering where my new birds stand. Thank You in advance.
My roo

My pullet
They look like Sultans to me. It's a very sweet, rare breed. My personal thinking is why would anybody frizzle a Sultan, but I know they're popular. I mean really look at how lovely the little pullet is. Somebody sold them to you as Cochins? I hope it was an ignorant accident, but believe me you could have done much worse. Sultans are such nice, beautiful birds. I don't know where you live, but I don't think they do real well in very cold weather. I think there is a Sultan page on here, so when you're looking for information about them, look for Sultan.

yes they were sold to me as cochins. My ignorant self just knew to look for a ball of fluff. I honestly don't care what they are as long as the pullet winds up going broody for me as part of the reason for a cochin was to have a "mother hen" experience for my wife. I have had large breed chickens for a while but have yet to have a broody.

This is my best friends bantam Cochin marshmallow. She is going to sell me one of marsh mallows daughters. She is so fluffy!

yes they were sold to me as cochins. My ignorant self just knew to look for a ball of fluff. I honestly don't care what they are as long as the pullet winds up going broody for me as part of the reason for a cochin was to have a "mother hen" experience for my wife. I have had large breed chickens for a while but have yet to have a broody.
Unfortunately, I don't believe you're going to have much luck with them going broody. You may need to keep looking for either a cochin or a silkie. If you really want a broody, you can always count on a silkie. If you don't keep your little Sultans be sure to advertise them as Sultans, I think you'll have good luck getting them placed. They would make wonderful 4 H birds.

Back
Top Bottom