Cochin Thread!!!

Hi Crystal. I agree with you on your chicks colors, but I am not very experienced with the breed. My chicks colors are changing as the feathers come in.

Yes, the first one looks mottled. The second one looks blue but if it has white tips under the wing or in the eyebrows it could be blue split to mottled.

I have a blue hen that has some freckles of white on the face. So is that what she is??

I think my cochin bantam hen is broody... Right when I open the coop door she runs straight to underneath the coop and squeezes under it. She is the only one who can fit under the coop because she is so small, and she won't really lay eggs anywhere else but there. Usually she goes underneath the coop into her nest, lays and egg, then comes back out and "hangs out'' with the other chickens. Also, her nest used to be at the front area but now she moved it farther back, and now she stays underneath there the entire day laying in the same spot. Every night I have to reach underneath the coop and literally pry her out of underneath there otherwise she tries to sleep on her nest. There are no eggs in the nest that I am aware of, is it normal for a hen to lay on an empty nest? Sorry for being so concerned, I know it is a normal thing, but none of my hens have ever been broody before and she hasn't been eating and drinking very much at all so I want to make sure she is okay. Thanks for any help!

I think my cochin bantam hen is broody... Right when I open the coop door she runs straight to underneath the coop and squeezes under it. She is the only one who can fit under the coop because she is so small, and she won't really lay eggs anywhere else but there. Usually she goes underneath the coop into her nest, lays and egg, then comes back out and "hangs out'' with the other chickens. Also, her nest used to be at the front area but now she moved it farther back, and now she stays underneath there the entire day laying in the same spot. Every night I have to reach underneath the coop and literally pry her out of underneath there otherwise she tries to sleep on her nest. There are no eggs in the nest that I am aware of, is it normal for a hen to lay on an empty nest? Sorry for being so concerned, I know it is a normal thing, but none of my hens have ever been broody before and she hasn't been eating and drinking very much at all so I want to make sure she is okay. Thanks for any help! 

Perfectly normal, even with no eggs her hormones have kicked in, has she stopped laying?

Yes, she stopped laying. She stopped eating also because last night her crop was empty and slightly squishy. Do you think she could have sour crop?

Back
Top Bottom