Cochin Thread!!!

KC's your post really got me thinkin! I did some googling and Im on board. I already have the big white barrels with downspouts coming into them for collection. I just fill my waterers there and haven't had any problems with algae wither.... was thinking it was just because I got it late in the season and am concerned about the heat of summer.. BUT, they are on the north side of the barns which will limit sun exposure.

Where is a good place to buy the nipple waterers? can you just drill a hole the appropriate size then screw them in? I guess they have some sort of rubber washer to be water tight? My new bantybarn will be below the overhang of the big carriage house so Im getting all kinds of awesome ideas about water usage. Thanks
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I bought the push in style nipples from qc suppy. http://www.qcsupply.com/420011-push-in-style-nipple.html. I also bought the screw in kind, but I had a lot of issues with them leaking. The push in ones are MUCH BETTER! Use a 11/32 drill bit. I had to use pliers to twist the nipple into the rubber gromet because it was such a tight fit, but it works so well now and does not leak at all. Good luck!

Sorry, we've got off topic. Here's another picture of a cochin to get back to the thread.

A curious little splash baby
40401_blue_baby.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I don't have any pictures but I'll try to describe. I have a white barrel laying on it's side. The barrel has bungs?? that have threads on them. I went to the hardware store and found a piece that screws into those threads and will hook to a garden hose on the other side. I got a six foot garden hose in the automotive section at walmart and hooked it to the barrel on one end and the pvc pipe on the other end. The garden hose was flexible enough to go from the barrel on the outside of the pen through the chicken wire to hook to the PVC pipe inside the run. the pvc pipe runs through all 6 pens-I have a large run that is separated into 6 pens with netting-. Each pen has poultry nipples in the pvc pipe.

So, to sum it up, the barrel is on the outside of the run hooked to a garden hose that goes through the chicken wire and hooks to pvc pipe that goes through all pens with poultry nipples in each pen.

Hope this helps.

Tom,
I was just wondering if you had any Silver Laced birds still? I am very interested in working with this variety and the pics I saw of your birds are simply beautiful. Was just wondering if you were still working the SL variety or not? Would love to get some stock from you and work on making them better.

~Casey

Mr. Ree :

Tom,
I was just wondering if you had any Silver Laced birds still? I am very interested in working with this variety and the pics I saw of your birds are simply beautiful. Was just wondering if you were still working the SL variety or not? Would love to get some stock from you and work on making them better.

~Casey

Casey,
I do not have them any more. I decided to cut them out of the mix. I will email you the contact info of the person that bought all of them.

Tom​

Quote:
Hummm, interesting! what are your plans for the project?

I wanted to combine the compact size of a serama with the fluff of a cochin. I love the feathered feet of my cochins, but the seramas are much smaller. I may create a line of designer chickens by combine different breeds to get the "cute" factor that seems to get younger children hooked on chickens. i've sold a couple of birds to 4-h'ers in the area and they love them. Mom says these are the cutest chickens she's ever seen.

Perhaps some day Dwarf Cochins.
lol.png
It was actually an accident that people seemed to like a whole lot.

Back
Top Bottom