Cochin Thread!!!

Cotton - a big sweet fluffernutter!
9261_dscn3063.jpg

Hello fellow Cochin lovers! Am I the only one already waiting for spring? I was day dreaming earlier today about who I wanted to pair up, and the chicks I might get from those pairings. I was thinking these 2 would make some beautiful babies
86165_110311122116.jpg

And I REALLY want some blue splash frizzles. Is it likely I would get even a single blue splash frizzle from these guys? Would their offspring be washed out? What would happen if I put the blue frizzle rooster with a white hen? Or a partridge (I been dreaming of blue partridge Cochins as well, but for some reason I can't believe it would be that easy
love.gif
)? I do this every winter-sit around wishing it was spring so I can have cute fuzzy wuzzies to play with!

Quote:
Yes I think you would have washed out color. I copied this from another site and may help:

The SOP for Splash is Slaty blue and white that has a faint bluish gray tinge. The undercolor s/be slaty blue and sooty white.

If you keep breeding Splash to Splash, you will wash out the Slaty Blue. Hence the recommendation to breed back to Blue or Black as needed. I would make sure if breeding back to Black that it is a B/B/S Black, and not a (regular) Black.

Quote:
Yes I think you would have washed out color. I copied this from another site and may help:

The SOP for Splash is Slaty blue and white that has a faint bluish gray tinge. The undercolor s/be slaty blue and sooty white.

If you keep breeding Splash to Splash, you will wash out the Slaty Blue. Hence the recommendation to breed back to Blue or Black as needed. I would make sure if breeding back to Black that it is a B/B/S Black, and not a (regular) Black.

So I have this guy: Mr. Crispy-
86165_110311121822.jpg

Would it be better to put him over the splash hen? He came from B/B/S. I have a couple of black hens from B/B/S as well, would I be likely to get splash frizzles if I were to mate the blue frizzle roo to those girls? Sorry for all the questions, but I've never had a game plan. Usually I just let them go to it, and then I see what I get
tongue.png
Also, I thought my frizzle roo was a blue, not splash. Would you call him a splash? And the hen is still getting more blue everyday, all of my Cochins are about 7 months old, so I guess I'm really counting my chickens before they hatch, considering they haven't even started laying yet! Thanks!
Here's a more recent picture of the splash hen, it shows how she has more blue coming in...sort of.
86165_110811151237.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/86165_110311121822.jpg
Would it be better to put him over the splash hen? He came from B/B/S. I have a couple of black hens from B/B/S as well, would I be likely to get splash frizzles if I were to mate the blue frizzle roo to those girls? Sorry for all the questions, but I've never had a game plan. Usually I just let them go to it, and then I see what I get
tongue.png
Also, I thought my frizzle roo was a blue, not splash. Would you call him a splash? And the hen is still getting more blue everyday, all of my Cochins are about 7 months old, so I guess I'm really counting my chickens before they hatch, considering they haven't even started laying yet! Thanks!
Here's a more recent picture of the splash hen, it shows how she has more blue coming in...sort of.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/86165_110811151237.jpg

Frizzles tend to look washed out anyway because of the feather condition. Since blue is a dilution of black and splash another dilution of blue, it can tend to fade the colors when you use two birds from the lighter end of the color spectrum. I would suggest if you wanted good looking splashes with good contrast to their feathers, use a splash hen with a super dark blue roo. you will still likely end up with a few washed out looking birds simply because blue is so variable. I hope this helps and this is simply my opinion. Good luck.

i'm thinking silkie cross too. i see the beginnings of the crest and with the black feet they sure do look like they are silkie coloring. does she have the 5th toes too?

oh, and there looks to be the silkie comb and not single comb like a cochin's.

Last edited:
Chickie'sMoma :

i'm thinking silkie cross too. i see the beginnings of the crest and with the black feet they sure do look like they are silkie coloring. does she have the 5th toes too?

oh, and there looks to be the silkie comb and not single comb like a cochin's.

Yes, 5th toes. Ive never seen the type of comb she has. It looks like... well it looks like a cross between the two!
lol.png

Quote:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/86165_110311121822.jpg
tongue.png
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/86165_110811151237.jpg

Frizzles tend to look washed out anyway because of the feather condition. Since blue is a dilution of black and splash another dilution of blue, it can tend to fade the colors when you use two birds from the lighter end of the color spectrum. I would suggest if you wanted good looking splashes with good contrast to their feathers, use a splash hen with a super dark blue roo. you will still likely end up with a few washed out looking birds simply because blue is so variable. I hope this helps and this is simply my opinion. Good luck.

It really does help, thanks. I think I'll just put her with both roosters and see what comes from them. Now I REALLY can't wait for spring!!!

Back
Top Bottom