Cochin Thread!!!

Picture # 3 is the older one in the last post, she looks like a Robin red breast right now~
smile.png

These pictures are making ME broody!
lau.gif
Hubby says no more right now though. =(
Those are some adorable chicks, WildWood!!
love.gif

Well that's not good.. In the sellers info it said there was frizzles hatching from the eggs, but they didn't show up all the time.
She didn't say what kind of roosters or hens she had in the pen. I'm going to e-mail and ask her. Thanks for pointing that out!
Your very welcome. A lot of people dont understand how to breed frizzles, they either think its to hard and dont want to try, or they just think they can breed two frizzled birds together, and thats a no-no. Its not difficult as long as you remember to breed smooth to frizzle, not frizzle to frizzle. You can breed frizzles together, but they wont look like the parents, the feathers will be very brittle and short, often times breaking easily and leaving the bird looking bald. They are also easily sun burnt, and get infection easy when a feather breaks under the skin, kind of like an ingrown nail or hair to us. If you ever have any questions about breeding frizzles, or anything about them in general, feel free to send me a message any time.

~Casey

I've got this barred cochin rooster that I find rather interesting. He's still young but what do y'all make of his color? I know it's not correct but I think he's just too pretty to get rid of. He's supposedly out of a pen of just straight barred cochins so what do you think would make his neck be white?

I've got this barred cochin rooster that I find rather interesting. He's still young but what do y'all make of his color? I know it's not correct but I think he's just too pretty to get rid of. He's supposedly out of a pen of just straight barred cochins so what do you think would make his neck be white?

That is the problem with many Patterned birds. They do not always breed true. He is pretty but if you want to raise Barred Cochins he probably has no place in a breeding program.
Craig

Looks like a bit of Birchen in him.

Guess I'll chime in here as well. To me, he doesn't appear to be pure Cochin, so no telling where the coloring comes from.

Back
Top Bottom