Cochins Vs. Orps Bickering thread CHOOSE YOUR SIDE

Cochins or Orps

• Total voters
View attachment 2469977
She's still alive. Maybe she just got tired of this thread, or stopped getting notifications.
but we tagged her...

Alright crew! 1000 pages by new year! Still think we can make it?
YES LETS DO IT
smiley_emoticons_verwirrt2.gif

my serama hen died PLUS orps won't give us seramas as Allies are you a cochin?
oh noooo :hugs

Their feet are not supposed to have feathers and those feathers cause serious swelling and irritation and sometimes they break off when the chicken steps on them causing bleeding.
I've never heard that feathered feet are unnatural :eek:

Do you have an article I could read about it? I'm very interested if this is true.

one Of the saddest for me is the chicken breeds that have been bred to literally eat themselves to death. If you don’t kill them to eat the thir legs will break and they will die. This I see as just wrong and in human. Thank you for choosing orps.
Which is why they are raised -- or should be raised -- for the sole purpose of meat, are not kept as pets, and are killed when they reach the desired weight, before the legs break. This way, we kill fewer birds for the same amount of meat.

Guy Puzon
Answered May 18, 2017

Why do some chickens have feathers on their feet?
This is quite a complex question and possibly related to paleontology specifically the study dinosaurs. In 2002, Harris , Fallon and Prun at the University of Wisconsin studied the formation of feathers. It is known that scales and feathers are made of the proteinaceous material, keratin and feathers are controlled by 2 genes in its formation.
Harris and Fallon looked at a breed of chicken known as a Chinese Silkie which had feathers similar in shape to unearthed feathered dinosaurs.
main-qimg-7668f3acdc93e0871001d56417ff50ee-c

So Harris decided to activate one of the genes in a regular chicken by coating an embryonic chicken's foot with a protein. And, they discovered that instead of scales, feathers grew.
main-qimg-d561a089b9886ca3aaa3f62305721cc7-c

Thus, a connection was made between scale formation and feathers.
However, the experiment did not examine whether the feathers or the scales are atavistic in that specific region of the chicken body. In other words, which came first: the feathers or the scales? It is assumed that the scales are much older.
But in looking at a Chinese silkie, it is intriguing to imagine a T-Rex with the same plumage.

Guy Puzon
Answered May 18, 2017

Why do some chickens have feathers on their feet?
This is quite a complex question and possibly related to paleontology specifically the study dinosaurs. In 2002, Harris , Fallon and Prun at the University of Wisconsin studied the formation of feathers. It is known that scales and feathers are made of the proteinaceous material, keratin and feathers are controlled by 2 genes in its formation.
Harris and Fallon looked at a breed of chicken known as a Chinese Silkie which had feathers similar in shape to unearthed feathered dinosaurs.
main-qimg-7668f3acdc93e0871001d56417ff50ee-c

So Harris decided to activate one of the genes in a regular chicken by coating an embryonic chicken's foot with a protein. And, they discovered that instead of scales, feathers grew.
main-qimg-d561a089b9886ca3aaa3f62305721cc7-c

Thus, a connection was made between scale formation and feathers.
However, the experiment did not examine whether the feathers or the scales are atavistic in that specific region of the chicken body. In other words, which came first: the feathers or the scales? It is assumed that the scales are much older.
But in looking at a Chinese silkie, it is intriguing to imagine a T-Rex with the same plumage.
I say this very respectfully, I honestly don’t believe that.

But feathery feet do not necessarily equal irritation and deformities.
I have a Booted Bantam who is almost two years old. I have never had to do anything about the feathers on her feet, and she behaves perfectly fine. She's feisty, actually, and needs no help doing anything.
Sometimes feathered feet develop problems. But not always.

Back
Top Bottom