Cockeral

philnj

Songster
8 Years
Jun 2, 2014
Townsend, DE
Hi all
Relocated to Delaware started over with a batch of "pullets" but one turned out to be a cockerel which is ok as we are on 4 acres and a neighbor already has a rooster.
My guy at 10 ish weeks started crowing a bit not a full blown crow but def confirmed he's a he. I new he was a he based on tail feathers etc. he would crow some again not a full blown crow every day for a few weeks. Haven't heard a peep from him is a few days he looks perfect not sick etc. what gives?
Probably shouldn't complain!
Phil

He's still young. Once he commands the flock and is mating you'll hear him every morning at the least. If a noisy one you'll hear him all day non stop.

Update on the silent cockerel
My neighbor who had a roster that crowed all day long has been relocated I thought maybe that's why my guy has been quiet
He has been gone over a week and my guy still nothing! He is 5 plus months old definitely a cockerel crowed early on nothing since. Thoughts?

Usually cockerels are pretty assertive with trying to mate pullets that are not ready to be mated as they sexually mature later than their male hatch mates.
It's hard to miss with a lot of chasing around, grabbing of neck feathers, and pullets screaming.
Maybe he has low testosterone.....or just slower to mature.

Back
Top Bottom