Cockerel can’t raise his head

swollen infected eye on Tuesday December, 19. We treated it with an antibiotic eye cream and gave Tylan orally.

We were able to get an appointment with a supposed avian vet. She debried his eye, gave us drops, an antibiotic pill, and an anti-inflammatory pill.
Photos of him and his eye?
What antibiotic did the vet give you - only one pill or giving daily?

Is there pus in the eye? You mention she debrided the eye - are there bubbles in the eyes, any other symptoms like coughing, wheezing, mucous?
Any mucous, lesions, canker, yellow or white pasty material inside the beak?

You've had him for 6 weeks along with some pullets? How old are these birds? They have all been eating the same feed out of the same bag and the pullets are fine correct?

Is there pus in the eye? You mention she debrided the eye - are there bubbles in the eyes, any other symptoms like coughing, wheezing, mucous?

You've had him for 6 weeks along with some pullets? How old are these birds? They have all been eating the same feed out of the same bag and the pullets are fine correct?
The vet gave us sulfa methotrim twice a day for five days. And the eye drops are an floxicilan or something like that.

Only pus in the eye. It dries and we have to soften with warm water and gently remove dried puss. No bubbles, coughing or sneezing or mucus. Mouth is clear no cankers. His comb is red and full. Lungs sounded good to the vet.

We’ve had him about seven weeks. We bought a trio which include two pullets from the same breeder. They are all around seven to eight months old. The pullets aren’t laying since we’re in Ohio and we’re not getting fourteen hours of light.

Yes. Same feed from same bag. The new trio is quarantined in a clean and unused coop and run. We gave them kalmbach chick starter since they aren’t laying yet. We wanted a higher protein than regular laying feed. And we don’t want him eating the calcium. We offer oyster shell.

It’s bizarre. He lost his ability to hold up his head a day or so after we noticed the eye infection and began treating it. We’re trying to figure out if they’re somehow related.

Thanks for your concern.

Here he is four days ago before we noticed his eye infection.

Attachments

• IMG_5904.jpeg
    IMG_5904.jpeg
    519.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5903.jpeg
    IMG_5903.jpeg
    571.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5906.jpeg
    IMG_5906.jpeg
    1,017.9 KB · Views: 22
He's a beauty.

I would think it's related, but hard to know.

I'd definitely try the vitamin therapy that was suggested and see if that helps.

Any chance he got his head caught somehow and injured his neck? I had a pullet one time get her head hung in fencing and her neck was fairly droopy for a couple of days, I figured she pulled/stretched it and of course it was sore, but like you say, the neck symptom came on the day after the eye infection. Very possible it's related.

Hopefully the Sulfa antibiotic will help, it's commonly used to treat Infectious Coryza, but may help with Mycoplasma too. Does he have a bad odor from the pus in his eye?

He's a beauty.

I'd definitely try the vitamin therapy that was suggested and see if that helps.

Any chance he got his head caught somehow and injured his neck? I had a pullet one time get her head hung in fencing and her neck was fairly droopy for a couple of days, I figured she pulled/stretched it and of course it was sore, but like you say, the neck symptom came on the day after the eye infection. Very possible it's related.

Hopefully the Sulfa antibiotic will help, it's commonly used to treat Infectious Coryza, but may help with Mycoplasma too. Does he have a bad odor from the pus in his eye?
Thanks for your thoughtful response. There is no odor in the pus. It’s getting less but still his eye is stuck shot and I have to soak for several minutes to open it so I can insert the drops.

We thought about the neck getting stuck but we have chicken wire all around the run four feet up to deter predictors so that can’t be it. Nothing in the coop would lead to his head getting stuck.

I wish I could afford the X-rays to see if it’s a vertebrae issue but we can’t. So we feed him via syringe with the nutrient dense food, add the extra E, selenium. B complex, and several syringes of water.

Our dilemma is when should we see improvement, if is he going to Improve? It’s been four days and no sign of him being able to hold his head up for more than a few seconds. He seems really frustrated.

First, you're doing a good job, covering all the bases. Second, it sounds like you have a good vet. The meds sometimes take a bit of time to work, so try to be patient and take comfort in knowing you are doing everything you can do.

There is enough selenium in the multi-vite so don't add any more except for what's in food. Keep doing the vitamin E twice a day. The wry neck should be the first thing you see improving. He should be able to eat on his own when that resolves.

It's easier to tube feed than syringe feed. Ask your vet for a tubing kit and to show you how it's done. It's safer and easy once you know how to do it, which isn't any different from syringing except the tube goes all the way down into his crop.

First, you're doing a good job, covering all the bases. Second, it sounds like you have a good vet. The meds sometimes take a bit of time to work, so try to be patient and take comfort in knowing you are doing everything you can do.

There is enough selenium in the multi-vite so don't add any more except for what's in food. Keep doing the vitamin E twice a day. The wry neck should be the first thing you see improving. He should be able to eat on his own when that resolves.

It's easier to tube feed than syringe feed. Ask your vet for a tubing kit and to show you how it's done. It's safer and easy once you know how to do it, which isn't any different from syringing except the tube goes all the way down into his crop.
Ok. Thanks. I was thinking the supplement must be very complete since it’s an intensive care supplement for omnivores. I won’t give any more selenium. But I’ll continue the E twice a day along with B complex once a day.

We’re doing well with the syringe feeding. He’s taking it much easier. We let him set the pace.

I actually just walked downstairs and he was standing pecking his food and eating like crazy. That’s so encouraging. I didn’t see him drink water which is concerning but we add a couple extra syringes of water at feeding time.

Thank you for your concern and encouragement!

He's a beauty.

You had asked for some pictures. I tried to get the eye but the basement is dark. It’s actually opened now which it hasn’t been in four days. It’s still a bit puffy and I’m not sure he can see from it.

I’m including a few videos. The sad one is when he drops his head and flips over on his back. He gets right up though.

I just walked downstairs and he was gobbling down his food. Such an encouragement. But I haven’t seen him drink water. We do get extra water in him every time we syringe feed him his supplement.

I’m worried about neurological issues from the infection but I’m not familiar with any correlation. Check out the videos and tell me your thoughts.
IMG_6035.jpeg
IMG_6047.jpeg
IMG_6048.png

You had asked for some pictures. I tried to get the eye but the basement is dark. It’s actually opened now which it hasn’t been in four days. It’s still a bit puffy and I’m not sure he can see from it.

I’m including a few videos. The sad one is when he drops his head and flips over on his back. He gets right up though.

I just walked downstairs and he was gobbling down his food. Such an encouragement. But I haven’t seen him drink water. We do get extra water in him every time we syringe feed him his supplement.

I’m worried about neurological issues from the infection but I’m not familiar with any correlation. Check out the videos and tell me your thoughts. View attachment 3710771View attachment 3710772View attachment 3710773
It won’t let me post videos.

That's very typical wry neck. He should come out of it soon. Most often, we never know what causes it.

Post your vid to YouTube first, copy the URL and paste it here and the video embeds as soon as you hit "post reply".

Back
Top Bottom