Aug 26, 2020
Hello all,
I just noticed today that one of my cockerel’s wattles seems to have a pocket of something (blood, puss, idk) and was wondering if there’s anything I should do for it. There’s a spot on the wattle where it looks like it could have been scratched, it was bleeding earlier, and it got infected? I have some antibacterial ointment that I can put on it or blue kote, a kinda anti-infection and anti fungal spray, or maybe hydrogen peroxide? I also don’t know if I should pop it. Any suggestions?
9903EFAB-A7A8-4517-BEAE-223ED29ABC73.jpeg
5C75E148-103D-4E59-9215-98BC1152FF51.jpeg

Is there a scab? you could try and pick off the scab and see if it will drain. Similar to bumble foot, then use a qtip and put blue kote on the area. When my rooster had his wattle ripped open I used blue kote on it and it healed fine. With yours Maybe sn antibiotic will be needed if you can't drain it.
@Eggcessive

I can't tell in the pictures, but I've had them get hematoma's on combs and wattles from injury or fighting (like a blood blister, blood from a broken vessel accumulates). If it feels like it's fluid in there, that may be it. If you have a syringe you can try to draw out some, that will answer that. I've drained some when they got very large, but they tend to refill, so mostly I leave them alone unless they are a problem and eventually they will go away, it can take a while depending on the size. If it feels very hard then it could be pus from infection. Combs and wattles have a lot of blood vessels, so bleeding from an injury can be a lot. I've never had one actually get infected.

Back
Top Bottom