Cold and damp weather

1st time

In the Brooder
Jun 30, 2015
Virigina
I live just south of richmond va. I have 7 chickens and 4 ducks. Their coop is aproximately 8 & 1/2 × 6 & 1/2. I built 2 layers of nest boxes and added to the back side and a roost on the inside. It is not insalatted but 90% is covered by plywood. It has a wood floor and i cover the floor with pine shavings. I was wondering if i should keep some type of low light or heat light on for them at night and if so at what temp should i use it at. I had bought a 250 watt heat lamp for them when they were days old til about a month or so. I need some advise form the more experienced as like my name i am a 1st timer. They were hatched may 1st 2015.

This is my coop. My nest boxes havent been added when tis pic was taken and my door that i enter is on the other side.

They won't need any extra heat, they have their own down coat.

You have nice wide overhanging eaves on the coop, does it have good ventilation up there? Cold and damp is not good in the coop, they need a good exchange of fresh air all the time, even if it is cold air.

Yes I have an area on what I call the back side which is the left side looking at my pic. About a foot and a half tall and 8 1/2 feet in width. The side you see is plywood with a slide up door and the other side is partially covered with plywood and plastic due to rain and the way it blows and a door for me to enter. Will share some picks of inside.

Hello and welcome to BYC. If the backside is still just enclosed with chicken wire as the pics show then I think you have plenty of ventilation. However, chicken wire doesnt offer much protection from predators, so I'd replace it with something stronger like 1/2 inch hardware cloth.

Since I'd be replacing the wire, I'd also probably do some remodeling to keep the rain out more effectively than the tarp. You don't want rain or snow blowing into the coop or you'll end up with sick chickens. Chickens can handle cold temperatures pretty well but they will suffer if they are wet. Your bedding will get wet and create problems too. To keep out the weather but still allow airflow and light in I might move the area of main ventilation up high on the side under that big overhang. Then I'd probably wall in the backside but install a window. One that hinges at the top allows fresh air but prevents rain blowing in.

Last edited:
I just took some more pics and the plastic that I have up is usually open but I put it up because of the driving rain we are currently having in Richmond Va. I will take advise to cover the chicken wire with a different type of material. Do I hav enough ventilation? the light I have on does not stay on. I cut it on in the morning for about 30 minutes so I can let them out of the coop give them fresh water food and collect eggs. During the week I do this at 6am but on the weekend it's between 7 and 7:30. I try to keep their routine as close as possible. They all stay in the run until about 3pm then they are free to roam until they put themselves in the coop at dusk

I also have used pine needles for the flooring. Is there any thing else that anyone would recommend as a floor covering?

Back
Top Bottom