Cold Climate Mash

Anything that improves their mental well being will reduce the likelihood of becoming ill. And if it costs us next to nothing to do AND brings us and them joy, why not do it?

Dang! And I thought I spoiled mine lol. I actually heat up porcelain bowls to put their treats in.
That sounds like allot of food for four chickens. I USED to over treat mine. I didn’t want to kill them with kindness.
I use to put out enough to feed a flock...of wild birds...which is exactly what happened. The attraction of wild birds brought poop in my waterers & feeders which brings diseases and Predators! Heck the hawks had a little buffet.
I have adopted a new policy if it’s not gone in 4-5 minutes it gets picked up.
Fat hens get egg bound-preventable
Fat hens sprain their legs/ankles jumping off perches-preventable.
Fat hens cannot preen their backside properly-preventable.
Fat hens are slower and easier prey-preventable.
I applaud your effort and time in what you provide your girls.
But honestly a can of corn would last my 4 girls for a week.
Your quality is excellent!
Your quantity (been there done that) is what gives me concern.
So many of my issues I caused myself. Now I look to prevent them...best wishes

Anything that improves their mental well being will reduce the likelihood of becoming ill. And if it costs us next to nothing to do AND brings us and them joy, why not do it?
That sums it up very nicely Criticalicious, and in a way that I can't seem to muster. I re-read my last comment from last night and it exhibits a kinda nasty undertone that was and is unintended. I sincerely apologize for my insensitivity. I am long known for speaking my mind rather directly and I am now far too old to do much about it, aside from get used to being ostracized and de-personed.

As for this subject under discussion, we decided long before we took on the role of full-time chicken enablers that the purpose was not to sell eggs, nor to fatten them up for the plate. We got them as pets really. Feathered fellow weary campers and companions if you will. They join a blind cat, an arthritic dog and various other rejected as unprofitable and otherwise designated for the scrap-heap things and beings, which against all odds managed to fall into stable orbit around our lives. The copious bounty of eggs are merely a bonus which, as with everything we "have", is shared with others.

You see, as human animals, the pair of us are remarkably successful and affluent. My aim throughout my life and career has been to generate wealth, then spread it around in the sole hope of creating more wealth and by extension, wellness, happiness and a desire to share it further with whoever and especially whatever needs it.

These 4 hens will get whatever they need to live long, happy and healthy lives—free of charge. They don't even need to trade their progeny to get all they might ever need, but I like to think they approve of our scheme. We will likely wind up buying them eggs. We can afford it. That's no judgment on others, it's simply the way we roll.

Your quantity (been there done that) is what gives me concern.
So many of my issues I caused myself. Now I look to prevent them...best wishes
You are absolutely correct. Once again, on further review of my own words, I neglected to emphasize more fully that while the recipe feeds 4 hens twice, we rarely present it on consecutive days. Unless there is a need, which is rare but lately more frequent.

We too had to adjust our "dispensary" so as to avoid all the unintended catastrophes you elegantly listed above. Among other much less damaging and fortunately easily corrected errors, we actually created a bit of a squirrel bloom that took a couple years to correct—humanely. We have learned from our mistakes and developed better systems and the process will likely never stop. For example, we no longer allow deer to get into the hay and silage stack area, we simply drop a couple Aspens over the winter, when they truly need supplemental food to survive very tough winters. The "organic" process of selection is merely bolstered a little, which is only fair really, considering the imbalance our very presence has caused.

I should state for the record that there is a ruthlessly mandatory weigh in at the end of each week. I am happy to say their weights are almost bang on, but must give some credit to the tapeworms they were hosting. Critical word there: were. They are no longer infected and the adjustments continue in earnest. Here too.

Many thanks for your kind words.

Last edited:
Physically you’re right, but mentally? Winters are long, foraging is greatly reduced, birds can get bored. Introducing some variety in moderation is a great way to stimulate and improve their quality of life.

I’m also in Canada. North central Ontario.
My Birds get out weather permitting and consume the same feed as during summer. Not as active in the cold so get too fat if adding more.

You are absolutely correct. Once again, on further review of my own words, I neglected to emphasize that while the recipe feeds 4 hens twice, we rarely present it on consecutive days. Unless there is a need, which is rare but lately more frequent.

We too had to adjust our "dispensary" so as to avoid all the unintended catastrophes you elegantly listed above. Among other much less damaging and fortunately easily corrected errors, we actually created a bit of a squirrel bloom that took a couple years to correct—humanely. We have learned from our mistakes and developed better systems and the process will likely never stop. For example, we no longer allow deer to get into the hay and silage stack area, we simply drop a couple Aspens over the winter, when they truly need supplemental food to survive very tough winters. The "organic" process of selection is merely bolstered a little, which is only fair really, considering the imbalance our very presence has caused.

I should state for the record that there is a ruthlessly mandatory weigh in at the end of each week. I am happy to say their weights are almost bang on, but must give some credit to the tapeworms they were hosting. Critical word there: were. They are no longer infected and the adjustments continue in earnest. Here too.

Many thanks for your kind words.
Heck forget the chickens...
Adopt ME!
Sounds wonderful. No doubt your girls have a wonderful life.

Back
Top Bottom