Feed advice

Apr 25, 2023
My routine, in the morning, I use feed pellets (balk of the diet), 2 cups), broccoli leaves/kale leaves from my garden, (about 10%) black oil sunflower seeds, soldier fly larva, scratch (just enough to keep them interested, maybe a half of a cup if that).
Also, oregano, rosemary, thyme, Cheyanne pepper, garlic, cinnamon, basal, & sage, (mostly fresh from my garden) mix different spices on different nights. Only small amounts of each and a couple of teaspoons of oats. All mix all this a little water or yogurt. It sounds more complicated than it is, it only takes about 10 minutes to cut everything up and mix together. When they first get out of the coop.

I throw a 3/4 cup of scratch around noon in the outside run. Outside run is 6' x 12' area covered in hard cloth. No free range.

I throw 3/4 cup of the larva before bedtime to get them back in the cover run and ready for the coop. Covered run is 8.5' x 14.5' with a corrugated roof.

Pellets are available all day, along with crushed eggshells and grit and of course water.

Sometimes they get veggie scraps from dinner, but mostly just fresh from the garden when in season (cucumbers, tomato, leafy greens, berries, melons, pumpkin).

I have 6 pullets, two laying, (27 weeks) 4 getting ready to lay (22 weeks). 2 EE, 2 SLW, 2 BO.

What am I missing, or what should I not do? I have watched tons of videos, read many threads just to try and figure out what is healthy and what should be avoided, but experience is what I am missing. All my girls eat and forage for food. Any advice is welcomed.

If your chickens are enjoying it and you don't mind doing the extra feed setup everyday. I don't see any problem with it.

But you should consider doing the extra feeding in the morning so by late afternoon they eat there layer feed only. This is to keep there calcium intake in check. They will process there feed while they're sleeping.

X2
But I'd Cut back on the treats by half, they're getting a bit too much, also I'd drop the kale and oats, they both have Nutrition blocking qualities and oats can cause sticky poops. I'd also stop the herbs and spices and use them for your cooking, they're not going to receive any health benefits from small amounts. :]

I would cut all treats except kitchen scraps. You have them so don't waste them, but seriously cut it back. 6 chickens shouldn't get more than 10-12 tablespoons of scratch/BOSS/larva total daily. You can use pellets and get the same results of them coming to where you want them.
??? 10 -12 Tablespoons total per day ? I've been giving 2 cups. Should I cut back ?,

Back
Top Bottom