New to raising hens - feed options

Hen Han Dog

Hatching
Apr 11, 2024
Hello All!

The kids were enjoying getting and eating local eggs from a nearby farm we decided we would see if we couldn't raise some birds and get our own eggs from the garden! So we have 5 hens now and I'm looking for some advice on feeding strategies.

I have been told that layers pellets + grit is standard but I have been wondering what a fully natural diet for the birds might look like. They clearly love finding insects and worms in the grass and it seems like that is what would make up the entirety of a wild birds diet.

I have also seen that calci worms are good for making better eggs. So, I am wondering if anyone has tried giving live calci worms alongside some grains as the birds' entire diet? I have seen you can buy the dried calci worms too, how much of this can I give?

Thank you!

Not sure fully natural will cover it unfortunately.
I would strongly recommend a feed for laying hens. That will provide all the goodness to keep your hens healthy while popping out those yummy butt nuggets for breakfast, lunch and tea.
Grit of some sort is essential too. We have a very gritty soil and they find these very scrummy for their egg shells.
I have a small oak wood and my 8 girls are always in there making dens and munching on bugs, mice, antelope and the like but they still need their feed.
Admittedly they don’t take the normal 120g recommended for girlz of their size but they still need some. Especially in the winter when the oak wood gets there shoes dirty so they stay in the barn and kill in there.
Hope this helps
Hugz

Hello All!

The kids were enjoying getting and eating local eggs from a nearby farm we decided we would see if we couldn't raise some birds and get our own eggs from the garden! So we have 5 hens now and I'm looking for some advice on feeding strategies.

I have been told that layers pellets + grit is standard but I have been wondering what a fully natural diet for the birds might look like. They clearly love finding insects and worms in the grass and it seems like that is what would make up the entirety of a wild birds diet.

I have also seen that calci worms are good for making better eggs. So, I am wondering if anyone has tried giving live calci worms alongside some grains as the birds' entire diet? I have seen you can buy the dried calci worms too, how much of this can I give?

Thank you!
Hi @Hen Han Dog , welcome to BYC :frow

I wrote this article on request for just such a purpose, so you too might find it useful
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...eat-tears-a-calculator-or-deep-pockets.78655/
I have a mealworm farm rather than calci worms; there's a link to a thread on how to do that among the references in the article.

I have 4 hens who free range my backyard sun up to sun down everyday so they eat lots of bugs, plants etc but they still get their pellets every morning and LOVE them. I will say though I feed a lot less pellets now than when I didn’t free range since they also forage. If they didn’t have their pellets I’d be concerned about them not getting everything they need. Mine lay a lot of eggs for their breed (Polish) too so that makes me think I’m doing something right and they get a good diet!

I use purina layer feed, but occasionally grab the expensive organic scratch to throw around the yard for treats!

Han Han Dog, please put your location in your profile.

I feed soaked grains and sunflower seeds, but am feeding less since the snow melted. If you are going to count on the chickens foraging you need to make sure they have enough space. If they free range they have enough space. It also depends on the breed you have. Some chickens are known for being good foragers and some aren't.

Chickens are a far cry from wild birds, and your yard/garden is not a wild natural habitat either, so going full natural is not practical or sustainable in your case. You can let them find what they can and reduce the amount of help they need from you, but they'll still need some - in the form of an actual balanced poultry feed. Make it available and let them roam, and whatever they can't get naturally, they'll make up for by supplementing with the real feed.

Hello All!

Thank you!
To be honest, there is no such thing as a "natural" diet for chickens as the is no wild chicken. Chickens are "man-made" species bred from jungle fowl.

Back
Top Bottom