Cold weather hatches

Well the babies are hatching, I felt just to see if the eggs were warm and felt a little fuzzy head. I gave her some more straw put a tarp over the whole thing and put a lean to over the door to block the wind it's gonna get down to twenty five the next two nights.
Wow Congrats!! Hope mom keeps them toasty warm. Are they completely in the dark?Mom should want to keep them in for at least 3 days. She may venture out with them after that. So you'll have to keep a close eye on the ducklings to make sure they all are staying up and I wouldn't let her take them into water at those temps.

Last edited:
Well that was this morning she's not totally in the dark and she can get out to eat and drink. I went back out just to check on her this afternoon and there was a dead baby duck on the ground a couple of feet from the door. I'm wondering would she remove a dad baby, did it get out and die from the cold, did one of the other ducks pull it out? I thought maybe there were too many and that one got pushed out. So I decided to take out some and leave her some. So I took out 5 I know there was at least one and some eggs still there. I put them in with some newly hatched chicks I have. They were all cuddling last time I checked. I'll keep them there for a few days then try to give them back. Did I do the right thing?

Well that was this morning she's not totally in the dark and she can get out to eat and drink. I went back out just to check on her this afternoon and there was a dead baby duck on the ground a couple of feet from the door. I'm wondering would she remove a dad baby, did it get out and die from the cold, did one of the other ducks pull it out? I thought maybe there were too many and that one got pushed out. So I decided to take out some and leave her some. So I took out 5 I know there was at least one and some eggs still there. I put them in with some newly hatched chicks I have. They were all cuddling last time I checked. I'll keep them there for a few days then try to give them back. Did I do the right thing?
@Egena she would or the lil one may have tried to follow her and couldn't find it's way back inside. can you put food and water inside with them? I hope all is well this morning.

Sorry you lost one.

It's fine to take some, Once they all hatch and she brings them outside try distracting mom with some treats and then just slip the 5 you took right down there with the rest, hopefully she'll have no problems taking them back. { Mama ducks are not like mama hens though you can't slip them under her at night}

She was still sitting on three eggs this morning and I couldn't see the one I thought was still with her last night, I was afraid she wouldn't take these back if she didn't have any with her so I slipped two back in to her she seemed ok with it. I took the three eggs out and candled them rotten! Don't know where the other two eggs went but I can't really see in there either I got 6 babies out last night thought I got five so at least 7 out of 12 hatched, pretty good for ordered eggs I think. Uy

She was still sitting on three eggs this morning and I couldn't see the one I thought was still with her last night, I was afraid she wouldn't take these back if she didn't have any with her so I slipped two back in to her she seemed ok with it. I took the three eggs out and candled them rotten! Don't know where the other two eggs went but I can't really see in there either I got 6 babies out last night thought I got five so at least 7 out of 12 hatched, pretty good for ordered eggs I think. Uy
Congrats on a great hatch for shipped eggs.

So you took all the ducklings from your mama? Or you just took them out to count?

I gave them all back after I separated her from the other ducks. She's doing great she's a good mom. I'll get some pictures to post soon.

I gave them all back after I separated her from the other ducks. She's doing great she's a good mom. I'll get some pictures to post soon.
Awesome, Look forward to pics..
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom