Colloidal Silver Dosage

Stage 1 bumblefoot should heal quickly with the 200 ppm colloidal Silver. You can also just keep it clean, add a little dollop of Neosporin, sterile gauze pad, and a wrapping of self stick gauze and it will heal up just as fast. For a stage 1 bumblefoot, I change the dressing every 3 days or so.

I wouldn't bother with the 5 ppm colloidal spray, as you want to have ample amount of silver particles in the suspension. An effective amount of silver particles can range from at least 20 -30 ppm to higher amounts.

Some birds are prone to bumblefoot and may require other remedies like rubber padding on the perch, a wider perch, and for harsh terrains...shoes may need to be worn periodically.

View attachment 2464717

I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless. :)
I m sorry i did not told you before but I have a crow
Stage 1 bumblefoot should heal quickly with the 200 ppm colloidal Silver. You can also just keep it clean, add a little dollop of Neosporin, sterile gauze pad, and a wrapping of self stick gauze and it will heal up just as fast. For a stage 1 bumblefoot, I change the dressing every 3 days or so.

I wouldn't bother with the 5 ppm colloidal spray, as you want to have ample amount of silver particles in the suspension. An effective amount of silver particles can range from at least 20 -30 ppm to higher amounts.

Some birds are prone to bumblefoot and may require other remedies like rubber padding on the perch, a wider perch, and for harsh terrains...shoes may need to be worn periodically.

View attachment 2464717

God Bless. :)
I m sorry I didn't not told you.. I have a crow.. and he use to have fat liver 1year ago but after 1 month with some treatment he s ok so I hope the 200 ppm silver is not affecting his liver.. and the big problem is that I don t know how to keep the foot wrapped.. I m asking here because I don't know who to ask.. I don't have a avian vet in my country..

Fabulous! I would love to have a crow! They are such intelligent birds.

Crow...chicken, they both have the same feet, with the same issues, same fixes.

To my knowledge, colloidal silver should not affect the liver when given orally, to a healthy bird, in small amounts, and for short term illness. Also, if you are using colloidal silver gel topically for bumblefoot, there is no problem. Topical use will not metabolize into the internal organs. And you'll only be using it till the foot heals.

Here are my diagrams of how I wrap my chicken's feet for bumble foot.

This is a pattern I came up with. It works very well and it will anatomically fit the birds feet. A crows foot is very similar to a chicken's.
foot wrap base pattern edit.jpg

You'll need a piece of 2 inch wide self stick gauze. Cut several to have for later.
foot wrap base pattern main.jpg

After you apply the first wrap, you should add a few more 1/2" or 1" pieces to cover fully.

foot wrap diagram sketch.jpg

It's better if you have some self stick gauze, however regular cloth wound wraps and tape will work. Use some safety scissors to remove bandage later. If you don't have any, use some thin hair cutting scissors. Use care when using scissors on birds, as they can sometimes jump or jerk.

Wrap the bird with a scarf or towel to restrain it, while attending to the bumblefoot. It's also easier to have someone hold the bird while you work on it.

If you have the crow in a wire cage, this is most likely causing his bumblefoot. Wire floors are very abrasive on the foot pads. If he is not in a cage, you will have to determine what, in his environment, is causing the injury to his feet.

I hope this has been helpful to you.

God's blessings for good health, to you and your crow. :)

Fabulous! I would love to have a crow! They are such intelligent birds.

Crow...chicken, they both have the same feet, with the same issues, same fixes.

To my knowledge, colloidal silver should not affect the liver when given orally, to a healthy bird, in small amounts, and for short term illness. Also, if you are using colloidal silver gel topically for bumblefoot, there is no problem. Topical use will not metabolize into the internal organs. And you'll only be using it till the foot heals.

Here are my diagrams of how I wrap my chicken's feet for bumble foot.

This is a pattern I came up with. It works very well and it will anatomically fit the birds feet. A crows foot is very similar to a chicken's.
View attachment 2465123
You'll need a piece of 2 inch wide self stick gauze. Cut several to have for later.
View attachment 2465125

After you apply the first wrap, you should add a few more 1/2" or 1" pieces to cover fully.

View attachment 2465124
It's better if you have some self stick gauze, however regular cloth wound wraps and tape will work. Use some safety scissors to remove bandage later. If you don't have any, use some thin hair cutting scissors. Use care when using scissors on birds, as they can sometimes jump or jerk.

Wrap the bird with a scarf or towel to restrain it, while attending to the bumblefoot. It's also easier to have someone hold the bird while you work on it.

If you have the crow in a wire cage, this is most likely causing his bumblefoot. Wire floors are very abrasive on the foot pads. If he is not in a cage, you will have to determine what, in his environment, is causing the injury to his feet.

I hope this has been helpful to you.

God's blessings for good health, to you and your crow. :)
Hi! Thats a very good info. Thank you so much. He s gonna get it of 100 % sure :))) he s a crazy crow. At least I will try to keep him busy some time and he s gonna keep the wrap a few h and in the night again.. he s free on my entire house. He was staying on a hard surface but from today he s staying on a soft one. I attached the photos with the bumble foot and the surface before and from now on

Attachments

• IMG_20201102_231124-1.jpg
    IMG_20201102_231124-1.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20201227_225454.jpg
    IMG_20201227_225454.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 10
  • received_1328888044116678.jpeg
    received_1328888044116678.jpeg
    917.3 KB · Views: 10
Where does this info come from? I use Colloidal Silver that I make on my own 40PPM and give to my chickens when sick...no issues.. CS is wonderful! Has cured many many ailments on viruses and bacteria!

I am considering using colloidal silver on my chicken. She has yellow bacteria in her throat, getting progressively worse. I had a choanal swab sent to the lab for antibiotic susceptibility, and treated accordingly. She made some improvement, then started getting worse again. She is now having trouble eating. I have done a lot of research on colloidal silver. I am considering treating her with it as a last resort.

Here is some research I have found:

"This study provided that, its (more than 4 ppm) harmful effect on the liver cells, especially in broilers, and recommended the use of nanosilver as anti micro-bial agent in poultry industry with caution and that the necessary conditions should be observed."
https://www.researchgate.net/public...articles_in_Poultry_Production_Review_Article

"This research was carried out on 240 one-day-old male broiler chicks (Ross 308) in a completely randomized design (CRD) in four treatments at 0 (control), 4, 8 and 12-ppm levels of silver nanoparticles that was added daily to drinking water with four repetitions within 16 separate cages and 15 birds in each pen. Factors such as temperature, light, water, ventilation, nutrition and vaccination were similar for all treatments. Nanosilver used in this study was nanocid (Nanocid L2000) containing 4000 ppm per liter silver nano-particles with average size of 18 nm." "This study shows its (more than 4 ppm) harmful effect on the liver cells, especially in broilers, and recommended the use of nanosilver as anti microbial agent in poultry industry with caution and that the necessary conditions should be observed."
https://academicjournals.org/article/article1380990460_Loghman et al.pdf

"Antibacterial and antiseptic effects of silver ion in preventing infection with coli forms, staphylococcus, and streptococcus have been proven in previous studies [2629]. Silver nanoparticles can destroy many kinds of bacteria, viruses, and fungi, and it is recommended that it can be used in the treatment of certain viral diseases in animals like Influenza and Newcastle [30]. However, extended and excessive exposure to the silver nanoparticles, like many other drugs, has side effects and pathologic effect on living tissues."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3826293/#B26

"most bird lovers either add a teaspoonful or two of colloidal silver to their bird’s drinking water, for preventive purposes. Or, if the bird is already sick, they might give it 1 cc of colloidal silver, up to three times a day, orally, using an eyedropper or a plastic syringe."
https://thesilveredge.com/colloidal...ets-cockatiels-pigeons-ducks-and-other-birds/

"I came home yesterday to a sneezing and wheezing chicken. I quickly removed her and administered 1 cc of colloidal silver 20 ppm. I also soaked a small piece of bread with olive oil and 3 drops of the silver because I was not sure exactly how much of the 1 cc I had gotten down her as she was fighting me. Within a hour she was no longer wheezing. Before bedtime I gave her another 1 cc of the silver with the help of hubby so I was sure I had gotten it down her. She was confined to a large wire dog crate away from the other chickens overnight. In the morning she was fine and this afternoon I returned her to the coop with the other hens."
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...y-infection-in-chickens.827344/#post-12068785

"I rescued 4 black sexlinks and one of them started sneezing with congestion right after releasing them from quarentine. As a newbie chicken mom, I was scared she had infected the whole flock. I believe in not using antibiotics as less as possible...so, I grabbed my silver shield, added 2 teaspoons to a gallon of their water plus 2 teaspoons of avc for 5 days and her sneezes and congestion was totally gone and has not returned!"
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/colloidal-silver-for-chickens.111548/#post-11827660

"Jade Woodhouse (Organic, Happy Healthy Chooks, Natural Backyard Chook Keeping) is my source for using colloidal silver as a preventive medicine for chicks. She recommends: "on day 7, add one lid of colloidal silver to their drinking water. Continue to do this every week until they are 6 weeks old. Also add kelp and molasses to their drinking water on a weekly basis." She goes on to add other detail about herbs and worm treatment. (You can order her book online - self published and inexpensive). As Jade does not specify the size of drinker she uses, I only used one drop per chick in a 1 litre drinker."
http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7625

"I now have a chocolate Wyandotte Bantum who now has a virus. She's been on poly - tonine a complex for about a week. Her symptoms were watery eye.. bubbles coming out. Cough .. sneezing. Then I remembered what I was told. Colloidal silver. So now I've stopped the vitamins, and she will only get colloidal silver. I poured 60 ml's of distilled water (distilled is water that's been boiled and cooled).. for those that didn't know. And I gave her 1 ml or 1 cc of colloidal silver."
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-colloidial-silver-safe-for-chickens.217223/page-3

"10 PPM means in one liter of water there is 10 milligrams of total silver content. True colloidal silvertherefore refers to the percentage of silver in the form of nanoparticles being the majority of the total silver concentration."
http://www.silver-colloids.com/Pubs/truecolloidalsilver.html

My question is how should I give this to my chicken. In her drinking water or dosed orally. As I understand it, 4 ppm is the strength I should use. Exactly how do I dose that?
Greetings chicken vet girl,

The research, use, and dosage of colloidal silver for animals, is probably one of the most exasperating and confusing subjects!

In my opinion, if a keeper decides they want to try colloidal silver, it's probably because they are desperate to help their chicken. You've done a lot of research, as I did. I started using colloidal silver, in desperation as well. It's a debatable subject, but, I am not going to debate about it. I can only tell you, it is effective in healing many things. However, it is no replacement for an appropriate antibiotic.

I have been using colloidal silver for at least 3 years. I use it for all of my animals. I don't use it as a supplement. It is a treatment, just like any medicine.

As far as toxicity, I have never seen a silver chicken running around. But, one should always assume there is a possibility for toxicity, in over use or excessive amounts. I use CS along with Doxycycline, to boost the antibiotic effectiveness, and have seen no ill effects. It has improved the quality of life, for hens diagnosed with tumors of the oviduct, and internal layers by staving off infection. It eradicates external yeast in two weeks. It heals eye infections, such as cherry eye in dogs. I recently used, it successfully, on my neighbors horse, for conjunctivitis. I treat bumble foot infections with it, too.

There is no documented scientific therapeutic dosage, for adult chickens.

But, here is what I use:

1100 ppm, colloidal silver. (higher concentration, means less is needed, bottle lasts longer)

• .3 mL (full strength 1100 ppm), one time dose, orally for the first day only, of a severe illness.
  • For chicken that is not drinking, I dilute 2 drops of 1100 ppm, in 10 centiliters of water, I draw 2 mL into a syringe and give the chicken .5 to 2 mL, daily, with antibiotic administration. Caution - even CS water can aspirate the chicken.
  • If the chicken is drinking, 10 drops (full strength 1100 ppm) per gallon of drinking water, for the duration of antibiotic course, usually 10 days.

More Notes:
Colloidal Silver comes in different strengths, 10 to 40 ppm are the most common. You can use the 10 ppm on a hen. It's very diluted, you can give a drop or two to the hen. That should be effective on a hen. But, a 30 or 40 ppm, would be better for external applications.

The recommended dosage for people using a 40 ppm colloidal silver, is 1.25-2.25 mL, daily. And that's a nutritional dose.

Because a dosage for animals is still not established. I take into account that a 6 pound hen is only 4% the weight of an average, adult human. Like all medications, colloidal silver can be over used. So it is important, to try and use a proportionate dosage, in relation to the size of the animal.

I don't use the CS as an antibiotic alternative, for internal infections. I have tried it, and much time was lost for the sick hen, with very little improvement. For external wounds and minor infections, it can be used alone. But here again, combining it with another medicine, can achieve better results. I am also cautious of the potential for toxicity, if a hen is on a long term care regimen. For instance, hens with tumors or internal laying. Their treatment can extend for months. But, this would also be excellent for a hen with salpingitis or suspected egg yolk peritonitis, along with an antibiotic.

These are my thoughts and notes on the use of Colloidal Silver for animals, specifically chickens.

God Bless :)
naw.... make your own I use 40ppm (nano NOT IONIC) no issues given by dropper fulls. Ionic BAD internally.

Greetings chicken vet girl,

The research, use, and dosage of colloidal silver for animals, is probably one of the most exasperating and confusing subjects!

In my opinion, if a keeper decides they want to try colloidal silver, it's probably because they are desperate to help their chicken. You've done a lot of research, as I did. I started using colloidal silver, in desperation as well. It's a debatable subject, but, I am not going to debate about it. I can only tell you, it is effective in healing many things. However, it is no replacement for an appropriate antibiotic.

I have been using colloidal silver for at least 3 years. I use it for all of my animals. I don't use it as a supplement. It is a treatment, just like any medicine.

As far as toxicity, I have never seen a silver chicken running around. But, one should always assume there is a possibility for toxicity, in over use or excessive amounts. I use CS along with Doxycycline, to boost the antibiotic effectiveness, and have seen no ill effects. It has improved the quality of life, for hens diagnosed with tumors of the oviduct, and internal layers by staving off infection. It eradicates external yeast in two weeks. It heals eye infections, such as cherry eye in dogs. I recently used, it successfully, on my neighbors horse, for conjunctivitis. I treat bumble foot infections with it, too.

There is no documented scientific therapeutic dosage, for adult chickens.

But, here is what I use:

1100 ppm, colloidal silver. (higher concentration, means less is needed, bottle lasts longer)

• .3 mL (full strength 1100 ppm), one time dose, orally for the first day only, of a severe illness.
  • For chicken that is not drinking, I dilute 2 drops of 1100 ppm, in 10 centiliters of water, I draw 2 mL into a syringe and give the chicken .5 to 2 mL, daily, with antibiotic administration. Caution - even CS water can aspirate the chicken.
  • If the chicken is drinking, 10 drops (full strength 1100 ppm) per gallon of drinking water, for the duration of antibiotic course, usually 10 days.

More Notes:
Colloidal Silver comes in different strengths, 10 to 40 ppm are the most common. You can use the 10 ppm on a hen. It's very diluted, you can give a drop or two to the hen. That should be effective on a hen. But, a 30 or 40 ppm, would be better for external applications.

The recommended dosage for people using a 40 ppm colloidal silver, is 1.25-2.25 mL, daily. And that's a nutritional dose.

Because a dosage for animals is still not established. I take into account that a 6 pound hen is only 4% the weight of an average, adult human. Like all medications, colloidal silver can be over used. So it is important, to try and use a proportionate dosage, in relation to the size of the animal.

I don't use the CS as an antibiotic alternative, for internal infections. I have tried it, and much time was lost for the sick hen, with very little improvement. For external wounds and minor infections, it can be used alone. But here again, combining it with another medicine, can achieve better results. I am also cautious of the potential for toxicity, if a hen is on a long term care regimen. For instance, hens with tumors or internal laying. Their treatment can extend for months. But, this would also be excellent for a hen with salpingitis or suspected egg yolk peritonitis, along with an antibiotic.

These are my thoughts and notes on the use of Colloidal Silver for animals, specifically chickens.

God Bless :)
I have been having flock wide incidents. Both with roosters and hens or various ages, so I'm not sure how it could be internal tumors. I want to find out what is causing these health problems with bacteria overgrowth. Is there any reason you can think of?

So you wouldn't recommend internal use of colloidal silver to treat bacterial infections? The lab tested for antibiotic susceptibility to the bacteria. I treated with the recommend antibiotic, but my chicken did not make a full recovery. I am not sure what options I have left. I'd appreciate any advise.
Ionic internal NO Nanoparticle internal YES.

I use 40ppm Colloidal silver on my chickens and in their water. CS has NEVER ever caused any harm to kidneys, liver etc. Ionic...perhaps...most you buy online is ionic and not to be injested. I make pure Colloidal silver and has helped my flock tremendously.

I have gotten chickens from people that don't look well...feeding them CS, back to health as if nothing ever happened.

I use 40ppm Colloidal silver on my chickens and in their water. CS has NEVER ever caused any harm to kidneys, liver etc. Ionic...perhaps...most you buy online is ionic and not to be injested. I make pure Colloidal silver and has helped my flock tremendously.

I have gotten chickens from people that don't look well...feeding them CS, back to health as if nothing ever happened.
So many people are appalled when I mention colloidal silver even for my own use, it put my off using it with my chickens Yet it has personally helped me through so many problems.

After reading this thread I think I will start adding this too my chickens water occasionally again :)

Back
Top Bottom