Colloncas, Huastecs, & Quechuas

Status
Not open for further replies.
The white fibro chick from your flock is gorgeous! Hope the recessive white allele can be kept in the gene pool. Do any of the adults in your breeding flock have extra toes? I'm interested in how the polydactyl genes in these SoAm project lineages compare to the polydactly traits I've seen in other projects. In my SoAm project (the Snowly Mapauche / Nikkei lineage) I've got a rooster (Shiro) with slate legs and extra toes but only on his left foot. His mother, Dulcita, also had extra toes only on the left foot. However, his offspring (with normal toe hens) have extras on both feet. His daughters, Chullu & Keiko (?) at hatch.... (Keiko's legs turned black as she got older. I lost her to a raccoon last winter. She and Chullu were full sibs.)
I checked and none have a extra toe. I am going to make sure the 2 hens keep their genes in my breeding flock I love the way they look and they are calm when you scratch them under their beaks

I checked and none have a extra toe. I am going to make sure the 2 hens keep their genes in my breeding flock I love the way they look and they are calm when you scratch them under their beaks
Shiro's parents both came from Taft Hill. Dulcita has an extra toe on her left foot but she has yellow legs and a single comb. She's solid white. If the extra toe came by way of silkie genes, the contribution has to be minimally two generations back but probably farther since it's only her left foot. She is an awesome mother and lays eggs larger than you'd think for her size. Dulcita was described as "Snowy Mapauche".

The father was described as "1/2 Snowy Mapauche" and "1/2 Nikkei". Gorgeous bird but he had an unfortunate and incorrigible temper. He also didn't have extra toes. I believe he is the source of a lot of the odd dilutions and bizarre combs I see....as well as the occasional "angry bird" :(

Shiro is pretty mellow compared to his father and his flock is very self-directed. Good foragers, strong layers who follow their routine without fail. I can't recall them ever being sick. They for sure aren't lap birds. They do their thing and I can watch but not touch :\

The eggs have really incredible hatch rates BUT the hens don't go broody. This seems like a pretty important part of a self-sustaining flock. So far all I'm seeing of the silkie ancestor is the extra toe. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that broody behavior will eventually crop up in this latest generation.

I will get some pics of mine but they go broody all of the time I am trying to convince 1 that she does not need to hatch eggs right now. You said yours have a funky comb I have 1 that has a really strange looking comb. 2 came with the hens that Yashar sent and 3 hatched out of eggs they laid on their trip out here. I will post pics as soon as this wonderful rain lets up.

Here's the white chick now. Its feathers are coming in maybe a tiny bit less white. Or the slight color might just be staining from playing in the brooder sand.

[/IMG]These are birds that I hatched from birds that I got from Yashar that may be from SA and may be called Huastecs very beautiful coloring and looks like tails are longer than normal

This guy has a really different comb but he will not let me get a good pic of it. He hatched with the other ones

I have to tell you about a pretty little chick that hatched today. I have a little dark blue laced blue OEG hen with black skin. I keep her just to hatch eggs (and because my hubby likes her). Last year my white Huastec fathered a bunch of eggs with her and I gave about 6 to a friend. She doesn't like the eggs for eating and 3 hens went broody in the past few weeks. She does not want any more little black chickens, but wanted to give the eggs from under the hens to me to incubate and I gave her some EE and RIR eggs to put under them instead. Get this, all her chickens are solid black, the rooster has a few flame red feathers and this pure white chick with white skin hatched from her egg!!! Whats UP With THAT!!! Funny...

I have to tell you about a pretty little chick that hatched today.  I have a little dark blue laced blue OEG hen with black skin.  I keep her just to hatch eggs (and because my hubby likes her).  Last year my white Huastec fathered a bunch of eggs with her and I gave about 6 to a friend.  She doesn't like the eggs for eating and 3 hens went broody in the past few weeks.  She does not want any more little black chickens, but wanted to give the eggs from under the hens to me to incubate and I gave her some EE and RIR eggs to put under them instead.  Get this, all her chickens are solid black, the rooster has a few flame red feathers and this pure white chick with white skin hatched from her egg!!!  Whats UP With THAT!!!  Funny...
I bet it is really pretty. I have hatched many different colored birds from one pen and there is no way another roo got in or the hens got out. I guess somewhere way back these colors where bred into the lines. Yashar could answer these questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom