color/barring q

cariboujaguar

Songster
10 Years
Feb 14, 2009
Mississippi
is there a breed that is patterned like a barred rock but is red/white or any other variation of colors? I have some cucko Marans who are brown/tan in the prt that should be white. I was told they are golden cuckos? but I am wondering if it is possible to breed a bird for a different color where the black should be?
thnx!

Yes- barring is just that- white bars laid across the feather. Birds like Barred Rocks, Cuckoo Marans are simply solid black chickens with the barring gene added. If you were able to magically remove the barring from those, they would suddenly turn solid black.

Barring can go on other color bases, but often the look is not quite the same because for some reason barring is the clearest on black chickens.

Anyways, as above said, Goldens are barring over another color marans.. In some breeds there are Creles.. True Creles are barring over a Red Duckwing. I use "true" as it is very common for a bird that is not solid black and has barring to be called Crele..

Some people are working on or made lines with barring over other color bases such as Red Barred (often is barring added to something dark red like a RIR) or Buff Barred etc. A common problem is the bars are not as well defined, however there can be really beautiful birds in those other colors.

wow thanks for all the info and patience to explain that to me! I look forward to studying this further, it sounds pretty! It never occured to stupid me the cuckos were black chickens LOL I had it the other way around hahah silly me! so blonde!

Once you have seen a decent buff barred or red barred or true crele you will get bored with a plain "black" barred.

Plymouth_Rock_Roodgestreept_haan.jpg

No not blonde at all, a great many if not most don't even realize this.. I remember being stunned at the simplicity of the difference between barred and crele.

I agree with Henk69- Crele is probably my favorite color.... and barred buffs/reds get a lot of comments whenever shown.

does your Marans look like this?
22469_may_09_076.jpg

She hatched from a black copper egg, and I was told she is a black copper with non "standard" colors... what would you call that pattern on her?

She is not a pure bred Marans. Sorry but you have something else crossed in there in order to get the Autosomal Barring.
David

Back
Top Bottom