Color Genetics (Orps), Who can you really trust to sell you top show Birds ???

Thank you to everyone for their post!

We have decided to start with a few black birds from a local top winning breeder. We are going to start there but if we like having chickens and shows are interesting we will pick up some blues as well.

As far as the lavender they are interesting and to improve that particular color but at this time that won't be our focus.

So.. we have a coop going up, some Orps on order and I will order the PAA Standard book, join the local and parent club and start attending shows! This will be a great journey!!

Alayne & Keith
Supernova English Labradors / Orpington Chickens
Lane Rae Beagles

No, the hardly any if any studies on subjective matters as the SOP, but most people would hard pressed to identify a Black from a BBS, Lavender from a strictly black line of poultry if other things were equal(body conformation)
When you said
"I hear that alot, I have yet to find any genetic studies(SOP is very subjective as opposed to genetic objectiveness) that confirms that."
Kinda sounds a bit misleading.
Could of easily said.
" I hear that a lot but can't find any studies that either confirm or deny it.
I'll take experience over a study any day.
I had a line of blacks and after years introduced blues. Plan was to use blacks to improve the blues.
After 3 of 4 generations you could see a difference in some but not all.
Agree most would never notice.
To most black is black but if you have it up against others with judges knit picking every detail things start standing out that you wouldn't notice in a different situation.

Back
Top Bottom