Pricing Top Exhibition Quality Chickens

Lol, I can’t believe we both mentioned Foley. It was the only website example I could think of.
I didn’t see your post because I was writing mine but
5,000 is crazy.
Maybe for a bull it is reasonable, maybe an ibis or an eagle, but a chicken?
Not a chicken, I said “other birds” aka not chickens 😂

Other birds? $5000?

Are you speaking of black market American bald eagles?

Multiple show winning birds from APA or ABA shows could fetch a good price for a chicken but that would not be anywhere near what you are speculating. In reality breeding the near perfection opposites together have a better chance of producing a standard of perfection than mating to a show winner.

A mating trio selected by a master breeder is worth money. He knows his birds, knows the best pairings and hand picks an amazing start into a breed for a person. I could be way off but something like that may go as high as $500 but I sooner believe 200 to 300 dollars is more in the ball park. Then again, anything is worth what a fool is willing to part with.

Foley's Wyandottes are no joke in quality. He's currently selling pairs for $300 including shipping- http://www.foleyswaterfowl.com/
That’s so interesting actually bc I was talking to a few people who are selling a lavender silkie ($700), Ayam cemani ($1500), Egyptian fayoumus ($1100), Andalusian ($1500), white faced black Spanish ($2000), and D’Anvers bantam ($850). All “very good” quality according to their breeders. Maybe people are just selling their show chickens for more here in California lol.

So true! Often the money for the birds that sell for the most isn’t going to the breeder since they are donated birds. Unless it is a 50/50 auction or something in that vein.
Why would you donate good breeder birds??

Some shows have auctions where prices go astronomically high for top tier birds. From what I've noticed, there's a fundraising aspect to many of these auctions that benefits the breed club. Those upper-level breeders sell a lot less birds than a typical breeder, because they have to focus on their reputation above all, so they can't allow any so-so birds out.
Some time ago, I had a conversation with one of the highest-ranking Sumatra breeders whose pair went for 10,000 at auction the previous year. They offered to sell a lower quality pair for $200, but they required I conduct the business through their friend who showed as an amateur. I decided not to go with Sumatras so that didn't happen, but it's how I came to these conclusions.
Thank you for your experience! That makes sense that certain breeders who gatekeep their breeds and basically have a monopoly on them can make 10k on a pair. I’ve just heard these crazy numbers recently and I was very confused if people actually paid these.

That’s so interesting actually bc I was talking to a few people who are selling a lavender silkie ($700), Ayam cemani ($1500), Egyptian fayoumus ($1100), and D’Anvers bantam ($850). All “very good” quality according to their breeders. Maybe people are just selling their show chickens more here in California lol.
Fayoumi’s and Cemani’s are not in the Standard so I imagine they are trying to prey on rich folk who want fancy poultry and don’t care about exhibition at all. They certainly couldn’t win shows. The d’Anvers is very surprising though. Maybe Cali inflation is worse than I thought.
Why would you donate good breeder birds??
To help the clubs who are running the shows, since it costs money to rent the venue, have awards, etc.

Now I reeeeaaally want to see this “quality” d’Anvers.
The show breeders that I know have won shows sell their birds at a fraction of that amount.

Fayoumi’s and Cemani’s are not in the Standard so I imagine they are trying to prey on rich folk who want fancy poultry and don’t care about exhibition at all. They certainly couldn’t win shows. The d’Anvers is very surprising though. Maybe Cali inflation is worse than I thought.

To help the clubs who are running the shows, since it costs money to rent the venue, have awards, etc.
That would make sense, since those first 2 werent being sold at a show. And that’s good to know I’m glad people support the clubs that way!

Now I reeeeaaally want to see this “quality” d’Anvers.
The show breeders that I know have won shows sell their birds at a fraction of that amount.
It’s a local breeder here who does Macaws, Cockatoos, peacocks, toucans, etc. also so I’m guessing it might be inflation given their other birds sell for $3000-$20,000.

Unfortunately it is really hard to know what they do charge because on Facebook nobody posts price and they don’t in ads either and that is where many of these birds are being sold.

Back
Top Bottom