Meet the Inflation Chicken

Maybe it’s because they are bantams? I’m smack dab in the middle of the state. Ad said they are standard breed, large foul hens mixed with large foul color egg roos. Most of the people told me they weren’t worried about roosters because they would just harvest them when they got big enough. That’s the only thing I can think of. Bantams lay smaller eggs and you get less meat, maybe?
Oh & I charge $3 for my day-olds.

Maybe it’s because they are bantams? I’m smack dab in the middle of the state. Ad said they are standard breed, large foul hens mixed with large foul color egg roos. Most of the people told me they weren’t worried about roosters because they would just harvest them when they got big enough. That’s the only thing I can think of. Bantams lay smaller eggs and you get less meat, maybe?

You may want to be careful calling them foul 😋

Like you, we haven't had any trouble rehoming birds (since December, was when it really picked up). But I have had to refuse an inordinate number of people that didn't sound like they have a clue... or who wanted me to do all the work in the conversation.
Messages like "addy?" or "call xxx-xxxx", full stop. :barnie

I mean, I really don't want to feel like a chicken gatekeeper. But I figure everyone who is genuinely getting into the hobby are going to do some research and be at least a little prepared. And talk to me, for goodness sake. It's hard to rehome birds, I need to feel like the other person is... a person.

You may want to be careful calling them foul 😋

Like you, we haven't had any trouble rehoming birds (since December, was when it really picked up). But I have had to refuse an inordinate number of people that didn't sound like they have a clue... or who wanted me to do all the work in the conversation.
Messages like "addy?" or "call xxx-xxxx", full stop. :barnie

I mean, I really don't want to feel like a chicken gatekeeper. But I figure everyone who is genuinely getting into the hobby are going to do some research and be at least a little prepared. And talk to me, for goodness sake. It's hard to rehome birds, I need to feel like the other person is... a person.
I did type fowl in my ad! 😂

Maybe little of the topic but last summer one of neighbors purchased chicks and called me panicking because they were dying . When I got there i lost it completely.
She had a bird cage on the floor next to a heat went and that was it. I scrambled home grabbed my office lamp and box to set them up. I actually yelled at her. You would think that someone with phd degree two teenagers and successful career would have enough common sense to google …at least. In TSS while purchasing something ,I observed family with small children (5/6 years old) buying chicks. Literally, they didn’t know first thing about Babies. The mom was shocked that they needed heat and couldn’t be let in the house like a kitten. :(
And with Easter coming up...

My inflation chickens, are surviving, my eggs sell for $3.00 Instead of $2.00. I wish I could go back to bantams , full size poops to much. I'm now selling eggs but 10 hens and a rooster, takes a lot of feed. My wife was at Texas Road House, a girl was trying to find somebody to take a hen found beside the road, we named her Texas Road Island Red. Then my sister in law gives me 3 Brown Leg horn's there white eggs have a brown tint.
Never wanted but a few, but now they have multiplied. But I found cracked corn as scratch
Feed just a small amount helps. TSC feed has went up. Rural king is cheaper but 25 miles away. I'm going to try to make my run more free range size?

My inflation chickens, are surviving, my eggs sell for $3.00 Instead of $2.00. I wish I could go back to bantams , full size poops to much. I'm now selling eggs but 10 hens and a rooster, takes a lot of feed. My wife was at Texas Road House, a girl was trying to find somebody to take a hen found beside the road, we named her Texas Road Island Red. Then my sister in law gives me 3 Brown Leg horn's there white eggs have a brown tint.
Never wanted but a few, but now they have multiplied. But I found cracked corn as scratch
Feed just a small amount helps. TSC feed has went up. Rural king is cheaper but 25 miles away. I'm going to try to make my run more free range size?
Gosh, I sell eggs at $3.50 a dozen and $5 for 18. I only have three bantams left, which is really sad since I like them so much, but because of prices having an ornamental flock just isn't cutting it anymore. :(
Free range is definitely the best option, in my opinion. I find my chickens (and turkeys) eat way less feed now that they free range. Granted, I do have an acre of land for them, but evne backyard ranging will help a lot. :)

Gosh, I sell eggs at $3.50 a dozen and $5 for 18. I only have three bantams left, which is really sad since I like them so much, but because of prices having an ornamental flock just isn't cutting it anymore. :(
Free range is definitely the best option, in my opinion. I find my chickens (and turkeys) eat way less feed now that they free range. Granted, I do have an acre of land for them, but evne backyard ranging will help a lot. :)
Where do you live? We were set on free ranging but we're in Virginia so there are hawks, foxes, raccoons, and on it goes. I'm wondering if it would just be better to make an enclosure with cover. We were planning to be out with them a lot but I've heard accounts of hawks taking chickens right in front of people. I couldn't believe it!

Where do you live? We were set on free ranging but we're in Virginia so there are hawks, foxes, raccoons, and on it goes. I'm wondering if it would just be better to make an enclosure with cover. We were planning to be out with them a lot but I've heard accounts of hawks taking chickens right in front of people. I couldn't believe it!
ESVA, watching bald eagles circling overhead. A beautiful sight, but I was just thinking about taking our 9 wk old hens out to eat weeds in the garden!!! Eagles must have heard me on Alexa, LOL

Back
Top Bottom