Meet the Inflation Chicken

Yep, my order placed a month or so ago got cancelled because cackle didn't have enough pullets to place the order. They are doing their best I'm sure.
Did you find chicks from somewhere else? I have 2 orders at different hatcheries just in case something goes wrong….at least we will get some chicks…

Also, I put a CL ad up for BYM/EE chicks I am hatching next month. Within 24 hours I had 3 responses, one who drove over & put a deposit to hold for all of them, and another request after who I decided to set eggs for before next month’s hatch. So I’ll be doing 3 back-to-back hatches because of the amount of offers I got for my chicks. Absolutely insane.

Word of mouth has gotten around that we raise and butcher chickens and sell eggs. We do not advertise anywhere, not FB nor CL nor even signs in the yard. We can barely keep up with egg demand from our regulars, and have to turn down all other requests. People are calling now to buy chicks as well. Hmmm...... AFTER I've filled my own freezer and replenished layers in my own flock, maybe.

In January, I needed to rehome an extra cockerel that I didn't care to slaughter and pluck in the dead of winter and put his pic up on a local FB sell and trade group. Got a call from a stranger who'd lost his whole small flock to stray dogs and wanted to buy a few POL pullets, too, to start over. After making sure he'd done right by a stronger coop and run, I relented --- reluctantly.

Part of the reason of the panic is seeing what happening in the news people are panicking over the idea of the food source having issues or contamination. However unfortunately because of this paranoia they don't listen to the research work for poultry and only to the new age alternative new sources which leads to friction within the chicken community and makes it harder to help keep things like AI at bay. I have lost count of so many chicken owners in my area commenting about their birds keeling over with respiratory issues and ignore any suggestions of necropsy etc.

The funny thing is, egg prices will be back to normal long before the chicks reach POL.
Yep, 🥚s here just dropped to $3 then to $2.72 two days later.
Might just be lots of POL pullets coming up for sale this fall when all these crazies that are snatching up chicks realize chicken keeping isn't their thing.

Back
Top Bottom