TSC Chicks being stolen all over the place? Can't find them anywhere!

Not 100% on where this should go but our local TSC stores don't have any chickens and hardly any ducks or other fowl. I went to all 3 locations and found a total of 2 ducks and 4 turkeys.
My local group said they talked to some employees and people posing as TSC employees are taking the chicks directly from the carrier. I have no idea how this even works or why there would be so much chick theft but it's hard to not raise an eye because I can't find any chicks anywhere in my city! We had zero issues last year!

I know some hatcheries raised prices this year due to all the craziness but i didn't think it would lead to possible theft! our city has a lot of porch pirates so i can see it happening but leave my chickens alone!

Anyways just wanted to see if anyone else had heard anything similar, and should I just order chickens from somewhere like murray? I don't need a lot but if I can't find any I guess paying a premium is better than going without this year..
Where are you located?
When the TSC here (Big Island/HI) gets chicks in, they are in those metal water trough in a fenced in area that only a the person in charge of the chicks goes in when someone purchases ... Been this way for years & it's a good idea for safety but never thought of theft. Maybe they need to install cameras, "nowadays" is not like the "old days"

My friend ordered sapphire gems from them three weeks ago all 10 are perfectly healthy still. And her order of 10 Americaunas arrived today. I cannot believe that they stuffed 10 chicks inside of a box that small. But you have to pick them up from the post office, still I think it’s sad that they are shipped like that. They still have no comets for me to order. It’s hit or miss. It’s direct ship from Hoover’s. TSC Never has chicks at their store in Gilroy, California. There are guys out here selling chickens for about 30 bucks apiece where they used to be $20 for pullets. I saw someone try to sell roosters for $40. 10 chicks from Hoover’s are about $32.99 I’m just going to buy four sapphires from her when they’re ready to be let go. Unfortunately I can’t run a brooder Lamp or heater all night because we’re off grid so that’s why I have not gotten my own chicks. She did say if she gets any Roos she’s going to give them to me. Note the odd color chick in todays delivery View attachment 3434032
Reason the box the chicks are shipped it is "stuffed" is to keep the warm (body heat) and from too much slouching around. But I do agree it is "tight" and some do get trampled ... LF chicks should NOT be shipped with bantams, size difference ... IMO

I picked up chicks yesterday at my post office. They would have given me the chicks that had arrived for a local feed store, too. I don't think they have much security...
Our PO here you need to show ID ... Once a friend couln't make it the plan was for me to go with her ID & note, last minute she was able to go so that was something we never tried.

Reason the box the chicks are shipped it is "stuffed" is to keep the warm (body heat) and from too much slouching around. But I do agree it is "tight" and some do get trampled ... LF chicks should NOT be shipped with bantams, size difference ... IMO
That’s what I figured but I was definitely surprised by it as I’ve never seen what they were shipped in until today. It makes sense though! This was the box.

Attachments

• 900B375C-C431-47AF-B8D0-D16AA8B7D9EC.jpeg
    900B375C-C431-47AF-B8D0-D16AA8B7D9EC.jpeg
    491.1 KB · Views: 9
That’s what I figured but I was definitely surprised by it as I’ve never seen what they were shipped in until today. It makes sense though! This was the box.
It is small, that's for sure. But it's needed for heat reasons. And the foam around the outside perimeter prevents any chick from getting trapped in a corner if everyone tries to pile.

We got sapphire gems directly from Hoover hatchery in September ‘21. All 10 arrived alive and all survived to adulthood . They started laying January ‘22 and were all really healthy - and they were all correctly sexed.
Our tsc has started getting chicks, but missed this week’s shipment because of the big snow storm . We’re planning on purchasing chicks from the store this year so we can have more variety and guarantee what breeds we get without having to buy 10 of each kind.
my tsc manager did mention that there is a higher demand this year, so they are ordering more to accommodate the demand .

Last edited:
Just got back from a feed run. The older local store was full of chicks and had ducks. First time I've been this year there wasn't a bum rush for them or just empty troughs.

Ordered my chicks, they been in my brooder for 2 weeks now and all arrived/living just fine. Looking forward to being the last time I order and just hatch out my own for now on.

We got sapphire gems directly from Hoover hatchery in September ‘21. All 10 arrived alive and all survived to adulthood . They started laying January ‘22 and were all really healthy - and they were all correctly sexed.
Our tsc has started getting chicks, but missed this week’s shipment because of the big snow storm . We’re planning on purchasing chicks from the store this year so we can have more variety and guarantee what breeds we get without having to buy 10 of each kind.
my tsc manager did mention that there is a higher demand this year, so they are ordering more to accommodate the demand .
This is mom - over and out.
Kindly posted by @shabby’s mother hen.

It is small, that's for sure. But it's needed for heat reasons. And the foam around the outside perimeter prevents any chick from getting trapped in a corner if everyone tries to pile.
I forgot about to put foam in the corners to keep the chicks from crushing one another. I saw a tip somewhere here about that. My friend made a larger brooder out of an oval rubber feeder tub as well. Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom