Tyrannosaurus_Pecks89

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2024
303/720/970/719
*** Important Edit: I am looking for solutions not a 101 lesson on chicken keeping (which I have been doing successfully for 5 years). I am also not looking for Goody-two-shoes whining at me for not following the local zoning rules. If you comment without helpful solutions; expect me to be snarky***

Hello,

I have been raising baby chicks to healthy hens for about 4-5 years. I would like a rooster for self sufficiency. To be fully transparent I can't have a rooster where I am. However, I do not trust that the next year or two is going to be positive (as far as food security, inflation, politics, etc). I know that that is not a positive thing to say or think. I wish I did not feel that way but here I am *shrugs*. I rather have things I might need then wait until poop has hit the fan (I am sure that many people share this mentality).

With that being said I am here for smart ideas about how to keep a Rooster or two for emergency purposes.

I would not be able to keep them outside with my ladies because they would be kept on the down low. Unless there was some way I could dampen their crow and keep them outside. This option would be too tricky I think.I have plans to ensure the roosters get outside time (walks sorta like a dog).

I have a garage that is large and that can be sound proofed. I can do supplemental lighting and give the rooster(s) space. Give them all that they would need to be healthy (walks outside like a dog) and any other thing they would need.

My question is when I want to breed them would I just bring one hen in at a time or a few hens at a time (I have 16)? Would they breed from first meeting or would it turn into a big fight? Would it be better to let them see eachother (from different cages) for like a week, then breed them? šŸ¤”

So if other rebellious people with secret roosters could give me ideas I would appreciate that very much. Thank you!

Last edited:
There are no crow collars, however they can be dangerous when used improperly. They also take a longer time for the rooster to be able to get used to it being on their neck and a slow tightening process.
I thought about the collars but I am a bit scared of hurting the rooster. I was looking at this as a part of the process of keeping them.

I would not be able to keep them outside with my ladies because they would be kept on the down low. Unless there was some way I could dampen their crow and keep them outside. This option would be too tricky I think.I have plans to ensure the roosters get outside time (walks sorta like a dog).
Keeping one chicken inside, especially a rooster whose instinct is to have hens of his own to take care of, can easily make them depressed to the point of becoming sick and dying. Some chickens do fine being inside with their humans, but they need to go outside occasionally or else they won't be able to dust-bathe and perform other instincts that are essential for their health. And I am aware of how you stated that you will take your rooster outside, but when that happens, he will see the hens and want to be with them. He can become sad if he doesn't see them, as I stated before. Also, I would suggest not getting a crow collar as that only muffles the crow and the collars tighten their throat to the point that they can easily choke and die.

I can do supplemental lighting
Remember that chickens see in slow motion, and flickering lights are a major annoyance to them. Imagine you being inside all day and the light constantly going off and on.

Would they breed from first meeting or would it turn into a big fight?
Chickens hate change, and that would be a major stressor for them. Instead, I would suggest to allow the rooster inside the pen with the hens when you want to breed him. Usually, a rooster would immediately breed a hen when he gets put into a flock.

Keeping one chicken inside, especially a rooster whose instinct is to have hens of his own to take care of, can easily make them depressed to the point of becoming sick and dying. Some chickens do fine being inside with their humans, but they need to go outside occasionally or else they won't be able to dust-bathe and perform other instincts that are essential for their health. And I am aware of how you stated that you will take your rooster outside, but when that happens, he will see the hens and want to be with them. He can become sad if he doesn't see them, as I stated before. Also, I would suggest not getting a crow collar as that only muffles the crow and the collars tighten their throat to the point that they can easily choke and die.

Remember that chickens see in slow motion, and flickering lights are a major annoyance to them. Imagine you being inside all day and the light constantly going off and on.

Chickens hate change, and that would be a major stressor for them. Instead, I would suggest to allow the rooster inside the pen with the hens when you want to breed him. Usually, a rooster would immediately breed a hen when he gets put into a flock.
Then how do you suggest I keep the rooster outside quietly? Do you have a innovative solution for the issue I described?

I would love to keep the rooster outside if it's garunteed I can sound proof where he is gonna be staying outside.

So do you have a solution?

Quiet breeds and crow collars are the only way I can really see it being done. Though if SHTF your karen neighbors probably won't care anymore if they have a rooster in the neighborhood

You could also keep him inside and bring the ladies to him periodically

I would also recommend a tough and self-sufficient breed for this purpose, if your main concern is surviving the approaching storm. American Game would be a good choice, or Cubalaya

I have friend with a rooster in a ā€œNo No Zoneā€ she brings him in every night (he sleeps in a dog crate) and takes him back out ~10am when heā€™s done crowing. Of course roosters can crow all day, so you still may be found out.
Find someone giving away an awesome rooster that doesnt crow....

What exactly about the rooster do you want for "emergency purposes"? Meat? Reproduction? If it's reproduction, I wonder if you could just borrow a trusted friend's rooster and put it in with your hens for a day or two when you want to hatch. I'm not super knowledgeable on this since I've never done it so maybe someone else can weigh in, but a friend of mine was telling me she has done this. My main concern would be transmitting diseases from another flock, but maybe someone else can speak to this.

I really have never thought no-crow collars sounded humane. Roosters should be able to crow imo.

Back
Top Bottom