color of beak and legs of a black star hen

James Papin

Chirping
12 Years
Sep 3, 2009
Hi, just got 2 black star pullets around 15 weeks old. They have black legs and beak. I do not understand how you take a Rhode Island Red and a Barred Rock, both who have yellow beaks and legs and produce an hen with black beak and legs. Can someone help me understand? thanks

All of the black stars and black sex link chickens I have ever owned have had legs turn yellow after they start laying. I have never had one keep all black legs

Barring is an inhibitor of dermal melanin (black pigment in the skin, beak, legs, etc.), meaning its presence causes less of it. The Extended Black gene (what causes a pure/majority black bird) is an enhancer of dermal melanin, meaning it does the opposite and results in more of it. In pure Barred birds, the barring gene "fights" against the dermal melanin, resulting in yellow or dusky yellow legs. Remove that barring, and you just end up with an Extended Black bird, which enhances the melanin and results in rather dark blackish legs. As the bird matures, the legs should lighten up slightly.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom