Color Projects

old*cowboy

Songster
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
arapaho, okla.
Breeding season is about to kick off again. For me at least. Putting the Lahores together so I will have some early 2012 babies. Large breeds like the lahore it is good to get some early young banded so they will be good and mature come fall shows. I love this time of year. Picking those matings so this will be the year of that next champion (whatever)
smile.png
How many out there are working on new colors or projects this year. I am working on Almond Lahores this year. I have a real nice huge almond Giant Homer and have mated him to a nice type kite bronze lahore. I hate useing a good hen in a project because she will miss a few rounds of raising lahores, but also know if crossing 2 differant breeds to introduce a new color one should use the best birds available to help speed the process. I have heard of almond lahores in the past, but at this time know of noone raising them. I like the almond color and think it will be a fun project. A few years ago used to be some huge nice grizzle lahores. I am franticly looking for some of these and they too seem to have gone by the way side. If I cant find any I will try to introduce grizzle back into them. The lahore is such a hard pigeon to raise to get the right type and perfect markings. Many people get into them and get discouraged when they do not raise lots of show marked birds. That is a shame too, as lots of color projects have been dropped because of this. Anyone working on color projects, not mater what the breed or no breed at all, post and let us know what is going on.

I would love to see photos of the almond Giant Homer!

I am definitely not at the point in my pigeon raising to be thinking too much about color - I raise them just for fun and to watch them fly around my house. However, since you mentioned color, I do have a question...
For the past 3 years my homers have all been white. However, this last batch of babies I had came from white parents (the dad is pure white and the mom is white with a black beak), but one of the babies is decidedly dark all over. I know that both of the parents were born at my place from parents who were white. I am confused? I am guessing the mom must have mated with a wild pigeon on the outside? The white Daddy doesn't seem to mind
smile.png

You may be right about mating with a wild pigeon, but there is a chance it is out of the whites. You can have white pigeons several diffarant ways. rec white albino white on and on. Anyway white may just be covering up some other colors. If the hen has a black beak it may have came from her background. Thats the neat thing about colors. The possibilities are endless. I will try to get some pictures up in the next day or so.

real nice looking hen there cowboy. i raised a few years back. You are right hard to keep the right show marking. Not sure but are there any lace wing markings in the Lahores. like those in frills.

My friend added the grizzel to the indian fantails many years ago.

Good luck on the almonds. Nice to see you are working on adding a new color.........lot of work and time

Quote:
I have thought about it before but the homer size and head shape I dont care for much. Plus getting them dang white flights out might be a nightmare. If LF muff tumblers came in saddle that would work though. Many good qualitys there.

old*cowboy :

Quote:
I have thought about it before but the homer size and head shape I dont care for much. Plus getting them dang white flights out might be a nightmare. If LF muff tumblers came in saddle that would work though. Many good qualitys there.

Guess that would be bad idea...i forgot about how hard it is to get rid of white flights. A almond self would be best.​

Last edited:
Quote:
Were they carying anything The hen you have might be a grizzle since after many breeding of grizzled birds you could get white. What is har parents colors.

Back
Top Bottom