Colorado Hatching Eggs Thread

i am in Pueblo..I just picked up my 6 little pullets...i believe they are buffs..but one is a black speckled...i THINK.. i am debating about getting a free
rooster here in pueblo that is americana cross i believe...city allows one rooster, but don't know if the neighbors would..we already have issues
with them.(very close houses) and i love to hear them in the mornings, but don't really care about raising more chicks...we are right at the
legal limit now and don't want to go over for the neighbors sake..lol..

samsr try euarto gullible, he's out on the Mesa (east of Pueblo in the county), he has Buff Orps, Olive Eggers, and maybe something else.

I don't have any pure hatching eggs for sale right now. I bought a cabinet incubator and I have to set every Buff Orpington egg and sell every chick I can to pay it off, or else my wife will take it out of my hide. I have some barnyard mix eggs I could spare. Most of them are Marans and Buff Orpington mixes.

I have Coronation sussex , salmon faverolles and EE's (marraduna and lavender ameraucana some can be pure ameraucnana and some EEs)

I have gotten my 6 pullets, 5 are buff colored and one black which looks like getting some lacing on the feathers...they are now about 4-5 weeks old and doing well...i am still using a heat lamp (up high) at night as they are in my coop..I also got 2
Maran Roosters 10 weeks old..i pretty much let them run the back yard and seem to being adjusting well...i do close all them up at night..(separately)and by accident the roosters at different times have gotten in with the chicks and seem to ignore them...how soon do u suppose i can put them together? i intend to fence the hens most of the time...roosters are pretty much used to free roaming, and it works they don't seem to try to fly out of the 6ft fence..NOW to get the dogs used to them...the min pins want to chase them and the roosters want to run from them making the dogs want to chase all the more...i am going to try putting the dogs on leashes today and try to just let them "watch" the roosters and see if that makes it any easier...the roosters are used to dogs and cats so don't really mess with the dogs...it is the other way around...

Last edited:
I have gotten my 6 pullets, 5 are buff colored and one black which looks like getting some lacing on the feathers...they are now about 4-5 weeks old and doing well...i am still using a heat lamp (up high) at night as they are in my coop..I also got 2
Maran Roosters 10 weeks old..i pretty much let them run the back yard and seem to being adjusting well...i do close all them up at night..(separately)and by accident the roosters at different times have gotten in with the chicks and seem to ignore them...how soon do u suppose i can put them together? i intend to fence the hens most of the time...roosters are pretty much used to free roaming, and it works they don't seem to try to fly out of the 6ft fence..NOW to get the dogs used to them...the min pins want to chase them and the roosters want to run from them making the dogs want to chase all the more...i am going to try putting the dogs on leashes today and try to just let them "watch" the roosters and see if that makes it any easier...the roosters are used to dogs and cats so don't really mess with the dogs...it is the other way around...
Sound like your little chicks will all be fine together, since they already have meet each other with no problems, just keep an eye on them the first few days. I have Min Pins too, they are such a playful breed!

I agree, sounds like you can integrate them. For my dogs (the 2 older ones that are well integrated into the hierarchy and know I'm alpha) I sat with them while the chickens were in the yard. Every time my dog even looked at a chicken I would tell her no. If she didn't stop looking I flicked her ear. It wasn't meant to hurt her but it got her attention that I was serious. Now the oldest just lays in the yard with the chickens and the other one follows them around cleaning up their poop. On the other side of this I have a 6 month old puppy that is still learning. He has chased a few chickens while I'm out there and I scold him, but most of the time he's more interested in our other dogs or me. I don't leave him unsupervised though. Unfortunately today I forgot the girls were out and I left the house. The puppy decided to play with a 7 week old chick and injured her head and leg. Our older dog was very nervous and worried and alerted my daughter and her friend to the problem. The chick is still alive at this point but tonight will be the key.
Good luck with your dogs!

I have fertile Cream Legbar eggs. Pm if interested...I'm sorry guys, I should have been more specific. I'm too new at this to ship yet. I just have extras piling on the counter while the incubator is going. For now, I have to stick to the Springs and Pueblo. I will figure out shipping in the next few months.

Hello again. I PMd you a couple of months ago about a cream legbar hen, but the timing wasn't right. Now, of my 6 original chicks, two are clearly roos, so I'll have room for another bird or two. Do you still have any cream legbar pullets or hens that might be able to hold their own in my little mixed flock?

All I have available right now is one, one week old pullet. Eggs hatching next week as well, but I'm guessing you don't want day olds?

All I have available right now is one, one week old pullet. Eggs hatching next week as well, but I'm guessing you don't want day olds?

You're right. I'm not going to be raising chicks that young again this year. Earlier, you had mentioned a lovely, affectionate hen who didn't meet breed standards, which isn't at all important to me. I am really only interested in the disposition and the egg color. If that hen is available still, she sounds like she'd be a nice addition to my little flock. If she's not available, well, there's always another year.

Thanks to you.

Back
Top Bottom