Colorado Hatching Eggs Thread

my pullets and roosters seem to be getting along...the pullets are still small enough to get through the chain link, so not yet free ranging
with the roosters...dogs and cat seem to be adjusting...My question is:if i only want to breed some of the chicks is it possible to keep
some seperated from the flock or should i let them all free-range..and at about what age will they start laying?? I don't know what breed they
are and posting some photos from maybe some help...the photos aren't very good hope u can enlarge them if not will try to re-take
them however they aren't very "photogenic" lol

Dandar, most pullets will start to lay in the 20-30 weeks of age range. If you want to breed only some of the pullets you would have to keep them with the rooster you want them bred with, separate from the rest of the flock. I have several groups, and they take turns free ranging.

thanks...
big_smile.png
is there a pecking order with roosters? I have 2 but one seems like he rules "the roost" only one crows and takes the treats first. If I give them free-range of the backyard, do I need to provide any special dietary needs? they are about 14wks old can u possibly tell the breed of these guys I think they are marans but the guy wasn't sure...

Your picture is a little hard to see and I know zero about Marans, perhaps someone else can offer an opinion. The only thing I know is, the French Marans should have feathered shanks. If you mean my avatar picture, it is of a Speckled Sussex hen, hatchery style.

Back
Top Bottom