Colorado?

Bayfield colorado here, 20 miles from Durango. I'm from California in the city of Ventura, But I have lived the country life for 8 wonderful years! Had chickens for 4 years, it started when my son traded 2 kittens for a hen and a rooster. Goldie and Rudy, (RIR'S). Anyway 18 months later we had to make Rudy stew. Well you can't just have one hen! And thats when I became a chicken addict!
wee.gif

Hi! Ia m new to chickens and live in Englewood. We are allowed to have chickens but no roosters here (noise). Until mine start laying this fall, I get my eggs now from a woman in Lakewood and they are allowed to have chickens and other farm animals too (horses, goats, etc).

Hello to all my fellow Colorado chicken owners! I know there are quite a few new members on BYC from Colorado and wanted to get this thread going again!

Did anyone go to the Greeley swap this summer?

Any new news?????

We are still contemplating getting meat birds. I think I will order them in March. My DH build their temporary coop this summer.

I went to one Greeley swap, though it was a holiday weekend so hardly anyone there. I go tot he Brighton one all the time. You have to pay to sell, but there are usually tons of people there.

What swap in Brighton? Never heard of it. Do tell...
smile.png

Meat birds do great here. They also sell great here. I've never had trouble selling my meat birds. However, I always have at least one outbreak of Cocci with each batch so prepare for it before you get the birds so you can medicate as soon as it pops up.

Any of you know if Twin Lakes was ever put back to the original Twin Lakes? I lived there 30 years ago and right after I came back to Alaska I heard it was made into one man made lake and then read a few years ago it was a mistake and the plan was to put it back! (22 miles out of Leadville)

Also lived in Leadville and my Uncle raised his family in Englewood, I went to Englewood High my Junior year and my Aunt raised her family in Arvada.

I was raised in Alaska but wanted to reunite w/that side of the family toward the end and right after High School, then came back home to raise my own family...

I am in Colorado.
big_smile.png
We have 13 hens and a roo, would like to double the laying flock next year with some Barnevelders, Marans, Rocks, and Speckled Sussex.

I thought about trying meat birds next year, and am interested in what is easiest to grow in Colorado.

I read that straight Cornish might not do well at our altitude?

I'm up in the foothills outside of Denver. We've been raising Cornish Rock crosses, and they're doing really well. They are very stinky and eat a lot though! Can't wait to get them on my dinner table.
big_smile.png
We're up at about 8500ft. and have had great success with our birds up here. We have RIRs, EEs, Australorps, Brahmas, Cochins, Faverolles, and Black Langshan.
Sonja

Back
Top Bottom