Colorado

The bator is now maintaining 99.6 degrees rather well. Humidity is at 40%. I have 3 different thermometers in there. One is wireless with humidity sensor also. The thermometer and humidity gauge that came with the unit are such a joke. It says right on it, "for refference only" yea, not accurate at all, I would say. Now I just have to turn these eggs 3 times a day for the next 18 days, worry about the temp and humidity and maybe get some sleep. Now I know why the hens lose weight while sitting on the eggs. This is a pretty interesting deal to do. 21 or so days from now I hope to have some chicks for the fest.

Last edited:
Hey y'all. I don't think any of the eggs my girl is setting on are viable (day 16 so it should be pretty easy to tell when candling). As such, I'd like to start locating some brand new chicks to put under her so she can raise them. I'm specifically looking for Gold Laced Polish and Buff Laced Polish and would like to pick them up in CO. Will drive to the Springs or NoCo, but don't want to go crazy. If you have any leads just let me know. Thanks!

RIR's are notorious for being dominate. even overly so, but they make up for it in egg production. My MEAN ( but never to us) RIR finally calmed down after three years but I also got a rooster at that time although she was horrid to him too. This year, she is mellow and not aggro to any of the new birds.
If you need info on hatching, there is a sticky on the front page of the Incubating and hatching forum that will get you through most any issue. It is a must read!!!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/704328/diary-notes-air-cell-detatched-shipped-eggs
There is more info and links here than just the title. , done by Sally Sunshine.
Wow. A lot of info. Thank you!

I have a computer fan in there now. Temp is coming up rather fast now. I wired it to a cordless phone charger. Fan is rated at 12 volts .24 amp and charger is rated at 9 volts and .34 amp. So far so good. It makes a whirring noise now. Maybe I can find something to cushion the fan to reduce the noise. When I do finally purchase one it will definately have a fan in it. From reading other posts, they are so much friendlier to work with.

I suggest making your own incubator! You can make something a lot cheaper and a heck of a lot more efficient. I made mine for $40.

I suggest making your own incubator! You can make something a lot cheaper and a heck of a lot more efficient. I made mine for $40.
I may just have to give that a try. I have a few coolers sitting around that I could be doing something with. I may go with a wafer thermostat as they are more accurate though. And would like to stay away from the ligh bulb heating. I will bet I can find something on ebay to use. Maybe a 12 volt system????? hmmmm

Oh come on weather, I'm almost done with our coop. I want our meatys out of our greenhouse! How are the rest of you getting on with your coops. I only have two more pallets to put up:) then set the window and side. Oops forgot the roof, ill need one of those too:) so close but so far away. My girls keep investigating, they laid eggs all day as I was working on it but I guess they know its all for them. I heard another storm is coming we didn't get much snow here just cold and ice......I want Spring!

Oh come on weather, I'm almost done with our coop. I want our meatys out of our greenhouse! How are the rest of you getting on with your coops. I only have two more pallets to put up:) then set the window and side. Oops forgot the roof, ill need one of those too:) so close but so far away. My girls keep investigating, they laid eggs all day as I was working on it but I guess they know its all for them. I heard another storm is coming we didn't get much snow here just cold and ice......I want Spring!
I've got the plans, the lumber, the hardware and the desire to get my coop done - just not the weather or time! Hope to get a good start this weekend but that is only possible if I can frame up some walls in the garage after work this week!

This came from one of our red stars the other day, the white one next to it is from our leghorn for comparison

Back
Top Bottom