Colorado

Speaking of turkeys......
Remember those cute little poults I got from pozees a couple of months ago?
Grrr...photo didn't upload.......

Well, a description then: The BBB are what I refer to as pigs with feathers. They each weigh about 20+ pounds, and are still growing. I walk into the pen with a bucket of grains, and they shovel it into their mouths right out of the bucket. Their beals are about 2+ inches long, and can hold about 2 tablespoons. The five turkeys are now so big and eat so much, that I have to refill the 5 gallon feeder every two-three days.....

Edited to add this:

Last edited:
Tech, Very interesting about the Dragonflies! Who whould have thought that! I am sure everything we eat has a small degree of antibiotics or drugs in it, but the USDA deems certain levels to be safe.

Pozee, Yay, for a broody hen! I may have to add a few silkies to my flock too. Yes, please share what you find out on the Midgets.

Tech, Nice that your nursery is done, and you have a broody hen sitting, makes it a lot easier. What kind of chicks will she be hatching?

Anna, Mine will also peck at any freckles or dark spots on my lower legs, and hands. Are your pants one color? Or do they have a design that the chickens are thinking is a bug? LOL

Wendi, Ah, glad they are getting the hang of it, it doesn't take long, even for their little chicken brains to fiqure out!

annav410, I have one hen who does the same thing, always has. I am at a loss to explain it, and have tried pushing her away, even swatting at her with my orange spatula I use to swipe out their FF dishes, and nothing deters her. Wearing plain old blue jeans, usually a grey t-shirt, and she almost exclusively does this when I am cleaning out the dishes. I dunno. DIstract her with treats? If I bring melon or tomatoes in with me, they could not care less what else I'm doing, they just want their goodies :)

Hello all again! Just wanted to give a little update on my guinea that almost drown in the duck pool. The little thing has made a full recovery and is back outside with its fellow guineas! :) I am one happy momma.

Good for your little guinea!

On another note.......where in the Loveland area can I buy some food grade diatomaceous earth (DE)? I think I want to start spreading some around the coop to manage any crawly critters that might be thinking of making a home with my chickens. I've had the girls for a month now and I'm just trying to think ahead a little.

Last edited:
annav410, I have one hen who does the same thing, always has. I am at a loss to explain it, and have tried pushing her away, even swatting at her with my orange spatula I use to swipe out their FF dishes, and nothing deters her. Wearing plain old blue jeans, usually a grey t-shirt, and she almost exclusively does this when I am cleaning out the dishes. I dunno. DIstract her with treats? If I bring melon or tomatoes in with me, they could not care less what else I'm doing, they just want their goodies :)

Anna, Mine will also peck at any freckles or dark spots on my lower legs, and hands. Are your pants one color? Or do they have a design that the chickens are thinking is a bug? LOL

I think I will try to either the distract method or use some negative reinforcement to try to deter the aggressive pecking. My gut says it is for attention seeking since I wear black yoga pants so nothing of interest to peck on (at least from what I can see!)

Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:
Good for your little guinea!

On another note.......where in the Loveland area can I buy some food grade diatomaceous earth (DE)? I think I want to start spreading some around the coop to manage any crawly critters that might be thinking of making a home with my chickens. I've had the girls for a month now and I'm just trying to think ahead a little.
Check with your local feed store. Kiowa Feed used to carry food grade DE, not sure if they still do, but they are quite a drive from Loveland! If your feed store does not carry it, maybe they can special order a bag for you????? I have seen where you can buy it on line, but only in small amounts. Be careful spreading it around, wear a mask, I used to wear goggles too. Be sure and keep the chickens up out of the way of any dust from the DE, not good breathing it in.

Back
Top Bottom