Colorado

Hi all, we lost some hens this summer and I am trying to replace them with specific breeds as a surprise for my wife in the spring. We only have room for 4 new and I am trying to source locally in CO, as most of the mass online breeders either can't ship this few or don't have availability until summer. Ideally we would take possession of either chicks or pullets between Feb and mid-April. The breeds are blue laced red wyandotte, silver laced cochin, buff brahma, and Marans. Any ideas would be great.

Agree about the nose height in order for it to work. I used one for many years, it was about a foot off the ground, on the inside of their run. They only touched it once, and that was that. I also used the insulators made for T posts, they hold it away from your exterior fence by about three or four inches.

I may have some cochin eggs by then, or if you don't mind mixed breed, I could collect some from my laying flock.
I'm not all that particular about breed. Mixed breed is great too! If you had some I'd really appreciate it!!!!!

Hi all, we lost some hens this summer and I am trying to replace them with specific breeds as a surprise for my wife in the spring. We only have room for 4 new and I am trying to source locally in CO, as most of the mass online breeders either can't ship this few or don't have availability until summer. Ideally we would take possession of either chicks or pullets between Feb and mid-April. The breeds are blue laced red wyandotte, silver laced cochin, buff brahma, and Marans. Any ideas would be great.
Feeder Supply in FC will start having all of those in Feb. She might have some now but they are all classified as rare breeds and they typically don't hatch them in the winter. If you call and talk to Danielle, she'll get them in. I would get in on the early orders as I think the quality is better before the Easter rush. They are chicks from Privett and I've been happy with my birds. I would buy at least 10 chicks. If you loose 1-2 or end up with a roo, than you're right back where you started. Sell the extras and end up with free chicks. 10 is no more work than 4.

Last edited:
It's been a while since I check in. It is nice to see the forum moving along!
Welcome to all the new folks.
welcome-byc.gif

Sounds like we left Colorado right on time...not that the weather in upstate NY is much better, but warmer for sure. We've had several ice storms to make up for the temps.

Maybe wintering here will be better
lol.png

Hoping all my gals are surviving at their temporary homes and that you all will stay warm and safe.

We got into the 50's today! We were definitely walking around without coats and the girls were very happy to get out in the garden again.

I'll be home tomorrow morning so I'm going to try to get some pics of the girls.

Back
Top Bottom